Sunday, January 24, 2010

Maturity Notice

I received a "maturity notice" in the mail the other day. At first, I thought maybe someone was patting me on the back for being a good girl, having a good job, nice house, etc.

It wasn't. It was something even better than that. We paid off our little red Ford Focus! Woo hoo! The montly payments weren't that bad, because it was a 72-month, zero-percent loan, but still. I think that's an accomplishment. And, anyone who worked with me at the Eagle knows that for a while there, I changed cars pretty frequently.

The Focus doesn't have a lot of miles on it, either, so it should last us a while more. We might not have a bunch of fancy stuff, but we have what we need, and now the only debt we have is the payment on my car. That's a nice feeling. I'm glad we don't have to spend our paychecks paying for stuff bought months (and in some cases, years) before.

For those of you with kids, be sure you're teaching them about credit cards and debt, because there isn't a class in the public schools that deals with that. We touch on it a little bit in our advisory classes, but personal finance is definitely something kids should learn before they head off for the easy-credit land of college.

4 comments:

Jim said...

Congratulations, Jill. I look forward to the day when I can finally pay something off. I keep waiting for that day to happen, but then there's always something new - a car, a piece of furniture, a child - to put me back on the road to indebtedness.

Jo said...

I was the only person in my government class senior year who actually understood how credit cards worked. What, you mean it's not just free money?

34th Stater said...

The economy thanks you.

Bets said...

I got Minnie when I had made my last car payment. I think I heard Gracie asking for a little kitteh friend! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails