Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A purty girl dancin' to jug band music and a mess o' mama's barbeque

I've seen two references to this in the last couple of days, so I thought it must be a sign that I need tor write about it. Kat said she thinks "Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas" is a depressing Jim Henson movie, but it's one of my all-time favorites. I could watch it (and "A Christmas Story") over and over each year.

I haven't seen Emmet Otter's all the way through in a long time (don't have it on DVD), but I remember watching it with my dad when I was a kid. Seems like Dad was always willing to take me to Muppets movies or sit through them with me when I was little. I can still sing a lot of the songs from Emmett's.

One of my Facebook friends posted a seven-minute blooper reel from the movie, and it's pretty funny. The crazy thing is that the boards shown in the clip say March of 1977. I had no idea the movie was that old. That's older than I am!

What struck me as I watched it was how lifelike the Muppets truly are, even in bloopers, and even as I, Jill the 31-year-old, watch them. Henson truly was a master, and to this day, I love the Muppets. "Fraggle Rock" was my getting-ready-for-school show every morning back in the day. I'd turn it on HBO, and sing along with the theme song, and watch Wembley, Gobo, Red (loved her!), Boober, Doc, the Trash Heap, the whole she-bang.

I want to know - is this a result of my age? Was I just a part of the right generation, the one that got to watch the Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock, along with Sesame Street? I'm sure I watched a lot of Sesame Street when I was a kid, but I just don't remember it as fondly as I do the others.

Here's a little piece of the Jug Band. If you haven't seen it, you should add it to your Christmas movies list. And, all you parents out there, watch it with your munchkins!

7 comments:

Heather rules said...

My dad and I watched it every year too. Wow, those are some good memories. I'm getting a little sad thinking about. Sad AND happy.

Pam said...

I love muppets. I grew up on the Muppet Show, Jim Hensons Hour prime time...love this movie. Emmet is my favorite muppet. Cutest too. And yes, I did name my son after him. And the crazy time traveling Dr Brown and the dancing football player. Though I don't think he was dancing in 2000.

When E was about 2, we showed him Jugband Christmas. He loved it:). I have the whole thing memorized.

Bets said...

Here's another example of be being just a bit younger than you. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! Sesame Street? Sure! Muppet Show? Yes ... but I watched Muppet Babies, too. Fraggle Rock? Ok.
Emmett Otter and some Jug Band? I'M LOST!

Anonymous said...

I agree! this is the best christmas movie out there. but it's rare to find fellow fans who pick up on the quotes I toss about...we're not birds, we're a jugband, etc.

RachelC said...

Thanks for the memories, Jill. I, too, loved Emmett Otter. It's not depressing - it's heartwarming. I remember watching it many times on HBO. We should make Betsy watch it.

Kathryn said...

I love the muppets. Maybe I wasn't in the right mind frame to watch it.

chitknit said...

If I can find it on DVD, we'll totally make Betsy watch it. I'm pretty sure she'd love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails