Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Books page

I've been reading a lot more lately than I usually do during school. I got started right before Christmas break when Adam brought home a book from the library for me. Since he was being so thoughtful, I figured I better make the time and effort to read it, especially since it was vacation time.

So, I read "In the Land of No Right Angles."
Then, I read "Friday Night Knitting Club: Knit Two."

I was excited about FNKC, because I had really liked the first one. Granted, we were still living in the pink house in Wichita when I read it, so I probably don't remember it that well. But, it was given to me by a wonderful former student, and I truly enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, the second one didn't live up to my opinion of the first. I feel like it was a little bit forced. Things just seemed to work out so magically and easily, and the language felt a little stilted to me. It's too bad, since I was looking forward to reading it, and it was given to me by my good friend Kat. (It's like I feel guilty if I don't like a book someone has taken time to choose for me. But it's not their faults - they didn't write the books!)

Then, I started to read "A Spot of Bother" by Mark Haddon. Again, I had really enjoyed his earlier book, "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time."

But I couldn't get past page 13 of this one. It was like pulling teeth. I don't usually give up on books. It feels like losing.

So, now I've moved on to "Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair" by Laurie Perry. She's one of the bloggers I check regularly over at Crazy Aunt Purl, so I'm thinking I'll enjoy her book, even though I'm only ONE of the things she mentions in the title.

PLEASE GOD, I HOPE EVERYONE CHOSE "Covered in Cat Hair" as the one I am. 'Cause that's the one that fits.

Started it last night at bedtime, and I can already tell it's probably going to keep me up later than I should be staying up.

In fact, I need to get off this darn computer and get ready for bed so I can read a little bit.


•••

TNT Update: Went to the official Kick-Off tonight. You should have seen our team - there's a ton of people on it! I've been psyched since I decided to do this again, but the Kick-Off made it even more clear what I'm about to undertake again. To see so many people with such a passion for doing good and helping others is pretty damn cool.

I'll have to run six miles on the treadmill this weekend at the Park City Best Western since I'll be at Crop A Ganza. I think Mitzi is a little upset that she has to do the first group training on her own. I'll be sad that I'm missing the group run, but happy to be a CAG.

Don't forget to donate here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

update your blog homie

Related Posts with Thumbnails