Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Knits you can enjoy even when the weather is warm

Yeah, what's up with that, anyway? It was 74 degrees when I left school tonight at 4:45, as the sun was going down!

I digress...

As you think about your holiday shopping this year, I encourage you to surf around on Etsy for gifts. It's a great way to support artists, starving or otherwise, and you'll find one-of-a-kind surprises for friends and family.

There's apparel, accessories, paper goods, jewelry, and within those categories, you'll find everything under the sun. If you read Betsy's blog, you already know that we're excited about some Etsy news. They've finally decided to promote Etsy this holiday season, in various print media ads. We've been asking for and grumbling about this for awhile now. Etsy is well-known in its own community, but we need to raise the profile if we hope for members to make more sales. I'll be interested to see if the print ads make a dent in some of the items for sale.

Now, back to the title of this post: Knits you can enjoy even when the weather is warm

Also known as: Look at all of these cool felted bags, purses and accessories. The cool thing about the felting process is that it can be done in many ways - you can knit something, then felt it, crochet something, then felt it, buy an old wool sweater, then felt it...you get the idea.

The first stop along the tour of felted accessories is this Poppy the Party Purse, by seller Shanineal.



I love the flower detailing on the pink purse.

I found the next item the other day, while I was looking these up, and I had to favorite it, since it reminds me of an unfinished knitting project I've been working on for about six months here and there. I'm using a bunch of wool remnants that are making random stripes, and I think it will be sort of like this, by seller Carolinasquirrell.

I really like the colors of the stripes on that one.

Here is an example of a crocheted and felted bag, by seller mystringtheory.

It's called the Nature Stripes bag. The colors would be great for a fall accessory.

As always, with my Etsy favorites post, I have to give a shout out to myself. (Then, is it really a shout out? Or just shameless self-promotion?)

One of the recent additions to my shop is this Felted Clutch. I've had some success selling bags like these before, so maybe someone will see this one and decide they can't live without it...My lovely assistant, Mom, has to add her hands to the zipper sewing portion. I'm good with the knitting and the felting, but I still haven't gotten the sewing part down yet.

Like Betsy, I am really going to try to do most of my shopping on Etsy this year. It's my little way of paying it forward.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails