Tuesday, November 4, 2008

This just in...Obama in a landslide!

Normally, I'm well on my way to sweet dreams by this time of night. Couldn't do it tonight, though. Had to stay up to see what happened.

I'll probably be awfully tired at school tomorrow, but I think the energy and excitement surrounding the news will make up for it. The newspaper staff got permission to send one page tomorrow (our deadline was tonight at 5), so they get to have one page of election coverage. We've got to meet at school at 7:10 to get the page done, and have it sent by 10 a.m. Hopefully as I type this, the two columnists are typing their own words, and we'll dump them on the page first thing in the a.m.

He did it. We did it. And this isn't one that's going to be contested in courts for the next two months. Obama won, and he won big.

As I watch the footage of celebrations in Times Square and Grant Park, where he'll be speaking (hopefully) soon, I'm only thinking one thing - please, let this energy and level of political engagement continue. The kids at school (who aren't even old enough to vote yet, in most cases) were abuzz with election politics the last few weeks.

This has been an inspiring campaign, one that I hope will turn into an inspiring presidency. President-elect (!) Obama and his crew have proven that they know how to organize and mobilize the electorate. Will that grass-roots involvement continue? Can we make some things happen?

I truly believe that Barack Obama has the promise of being a president for all Americans, not just the ones who fall in lock-step with his beliefs. Open exchange of ideas and partnership can help us move in the right direction.

Change has been a long time coming, and it's finally here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

and if it doesn't work out we have all the young voters to blame it on. I think there are alot of heads in the clouds right now but lets just wait and see how these same voters feel in a year from now when they are paying higher taxes so they can share with the ones who do not want to work but deserve a equal share of the pie.I pray for America.

Bets said...

I'm also excited, Jilly!

So excited that I stayed up late to cry AT my TV and I turned off my alarm in my sleep. Yikes! It's a good thing I heard a small child moving about this morning to wake me up.

Can't wait to rehash the whole evening with you in person!

Heather rules said...

Amen!

Related Posts with Thumbnails