Saturday, April 7, 2007

No little Bee is going to make us happy about road construction


Sorry, city of Wichita. I know you think that Construction Bee is cute and helpful, and makes people happy they are sitting in traffic, but that's not the case.


When people are stuck in construction traffic, staring at orange barrels (which, for us east-siders is a minute-by-minute occurrence these days), the last thing they want to see is an animated bee telling them to "Bee safe, bee courteous and support local businesses." They're already in a crappy mood because they're going to be late to their destination. You know what we think when we see those signs?

"What a freakin' waste of tax money." Maybe I'm extra sensitive to the taxpayer money issue currently since we'll be paying over a thousand bucks on April 15, instead of getting money back. I'd like to know that my money is doing something beneficial, not being made into childish signs to be put up at construction sites.

I'm sure there was a consultant involved, then we had to pay the artist, make the signs, and pay a crew to erect and remove them as the powers that be see fit.

Living, as I do, right off of Kellogg and Hillside, I have been in orange barrel hell for the last six months. Hillside has been torn up since this summer, east Kellogg is eternally under construction, and east Central has been torn up since this summer.

Yes, I'll be happy when Kellogg is freeway from one end of town to the other. Yes, I'm happy that storm water will drain properly and that there is a spanky new turn lane on Hillside. Yes, I'm ecstatic that Central is getting a turn lane, as well.

It's just that the locations of my house, and two of my best friends' houses are exactly one block (or less) off of these three roads. No cutesy Construction Bee is going to keep me from grinding my teeth and cursing road construction.

I know it's a fact of life, and yes, Kansas does have awesome roads, but don't patronize us.
Related Posts with Thumbnails