Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The more things change

As I was sorting my scrapbooking supplies yesterday at the house, I ran across this:

The date at the top of the photo says 1957, so the house was three years old at that point. To me, the photo makes the house look like it's sitting in the middle of the desert or something. I guess it's the lack of trees. Looking at the top photo and the one directly below here, you can see how the garage was turned into the extra room at one point.


We started setting up the little bedroom today. I know, the photo isn't great, but you can at least get an idea of what it looks like. I'm going to hang that mirror on the wall above the bookshelves, and that other poster will go up on the wall too.

We still have to pull down the painter's tape used to trim the windows. Keep an eye on this blog for the next few days, where I will be posting a diatribe sent to the Scotch company about how much I hate their tape. (I'll even have photographic evidence.)


It's kind of hard to see in this photo, but the carpet has been installed in the craft area, and it's ready to rock. I'm working on getting it all sorted and set up right now.

Mom and Dad stopped by today, and like Mom said, "It actually looks like someone lives here again."

We could be moved in right now, except that the bathroom isn't done. We're waiting on ceramic tile, beadboard, and the tub to be completely installed. We're sort of debating - do we go ahead and move this weekend, even though that stuff won't be done? We'd have to shower at Mom and Dad's, but at least we'd be moved before I start back to work. I've done the whole "shower at the Y" thing in Wichita before, when hot water heaters went awry and that sort of thing, so showering at Mom's wouldn't be that bad.

We have the apartment until Aug. 31, so we're not at DefCon 1 yet, but moving before school started has been my goal all summer long. Plus, the house looks damn good. I'm ready to enjoy the fruits of all of our hard labor, dammit!

4 comments:

Bets said...

A few thoughts:

1. I love that at some point your GIANT front porch was added! I can't wait to enjoy some frosty beverages on it this fall.

2. I think your bedroom paint and my bathroom paint color are pretty similar. It is my new favorite color (shhhh ... don't tell pink!)

3. I see that you opened the scrapbook paper organizer. I hope you didn't go ahead and get it in working condition! That is a job for your friend Betsy.

4. I vote for the move before school starts. As someone who lived out of suitcases all summer ... you will be happy campers to be in one place with all your stuff!

5. When can I come play??

Candice said...

Definitely go for the move before school starts. You'll cuss yourself out if you don't.

Kathryn said...

Is that my bedroom that's done? :)

You should definitely move before school starts. You'll kick yourself in the bootie if you don't.

chitknit said...

Don't worry -

I opened it but I did not put it together. I'm waiting for you!

We'll be there this afternoon!

And, I think all of you are right - move before school starts. SO, who wants to help move furniture on Saturday?

Related Posts with Thumbnails