Thursday, March 29, 2007

Oh yes, it's ladies night.

I love going to book club.

Is it the intellectually stimulating discussion of this month's selection? Probably not.

Is it the delectable choices of eats? Probably a little bit.

Is it the gossip and laughs I get caught up on? Um, yes.

People ask me all the time if I miss working at the Eagle. Of course I miss being a photographer - who wouldn't miss that job? But, the thing I miss the most are the witty, sarcastic women that I used to see on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, I do still see witty women - it's just that the ones I see are of the 17-year-old variety, and there's something to be said for communing with the women of your own generation. We all have common cynical journalist senses of humor, and some of the best laughs I have each month come courteous of the good ol' Eagle book club.

Topics of tonight's discussion: the book, of course (Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential), Crazy Mike (aka "The Mall Walker"), my friend and fellow teacher who has to lie about smoking to be eligible to win a cool million, crappy interns, "Happy Birthday to Poop," "Can someone please check me?") It never stops.

Tonight's book club was at la casa de Stumpe. Good food, good wine, good friends. For what more could I ask?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails