Saturday, July 14, 2007

Texas - It's a whole other country

Yeah, where I allow someone to perform "surgery" on my splintered foot with a pocketknife.

Backstory: The Friday night before I left for Dallas, I watched back-to-back episodes of "Man Vs. Wild" (my new favorite show, by the way...mmm...Bear Grylls). About 1 a.m., I trudged back into the office to put our phone on the charger, and stepped on the nastiest something-or-other I have ever seen. It was shaped like a burr, but looked wooden. I pulled it off my foot, gimped around for a couple of minutes, and crawled into bed. (Adam was at work, so he was of no help.)

Why this little piece of #@$^ was in our office, I'll never know.

When I woke up the next morning, I realized that this tiny burr on steroids had left an appendage behind right in the ball of my foot near my pinky toe. OW. OW. OW.

I toughed it out for a day, but after day one of the workshop (on my feet talking the whole time) said foot became a little sore.

Emboldened by a 32-oz. Miller Lite, and perhaps a little angered at its cost, I asked if Aaron or Ryan could attempt to take out the splinter. They're both climber-hiker-outdoor-survivorman (outdoor dogs, Travis?) types, so if anyone could do it, they could. Trouble is, our only tool was Aaron's pocketknife. After "sterilizing" the knife with a lighter, I grit my teeth and he went to work.

It wasn't OVERLY painful, but now I think I'll know the answer next time a doctor asks "Is it a sharp pain? A dull pain?" I've never been asked this question before, but now I know what dull pain is. It's a pocketknife breaking through a callous on my foot.

He pulled out a nice chunk of splinter, and I went on my merry way. This is why everyone needs to have at least one friend who is a photographer. All photographers are MacGyver types - they get jobs done, no matter what the tools.


Photos by Jeanel Drake.

2 comments:

Candice said...

Phil used his pocket knife to try to get a tick head out of my back once. I was bawling because it was on one of those shitty little nerves.

Travis said...

Yup. definitely outdoor dogs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails