Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Cardio Jam

Tomorrow's conferences. I know that doesn't mean much to most of you, but for teachers, that means pretty much one thing - you're at school for 13 hours. Sure, you get a lunch and dinner break, but for those of us hipsters who don't reside in Derby the breaks aren't long enough to go home (or to the gym) and back.

I knew there's no way in hell I'll be waking up a 5 am tomorrow to go to the Y, so I decided to be a good girl and go tonight. Went up North, did two classes - Muscle Pump and Cardio Jam.

Muscle pump was pretty run-of-the-mill. I've done it before, I know what to expect. But, Cardio Jam made me look like a fool, and it was hard work. (And I'm not lazy - I ran a freakin' marathon last year.) It's not that it wears me out. I just flat out do not have one ounce of rhythm in my body.

When everyone else is grapevine lefting, I'm double step touching to the right. It brings back visions of my Aerobics class I took at KSU because I needed PE credit. Me and 30 90-pound Classy Cats who were basically professional aerobicizers. I still have nightmares about that class. Add to it the fact that the class was at 8:30 in the morning, and that's Oh-Dark-Early for Collegian editors. When you're at the paper til 1 am, you've got to go out for at least one beer (that usually turned into one six-pack) before bed. I think I visited the Chester Peters Rec Complex three times in the four years I was at KSU, and I almost guarantee that two of those times were for Collegian assignments. And the membership was FREE.

A sixer, fatigue, 8:30 and aerobics. You do the math. I did however, get an A...

As you can see, I wasn't exactly Get In Shape Girl in my younger days. But, now that I am on a health kick, I absolutely love it. I know that sometimes people complain that the YMCA is taking over Wichita, but you know what, I think that is great. We are so lucky to have the options we do in a town this size. I'm a huge fan of the Y. You know me, I'm not the Genesis type - spandex pants and sports bras with nothing covering them are not my idea of workout gear. I like t-shirts and shorts (sports bra underneath, of course). That's why I like the Y. It's the working-man's gym, not the place where tiny fashionistas "work out" while trolling for men.

Really, I'm not being bitter. I actually have a friend who even though she had a FREE membership to the Y because she worked at the Eagle, joined Genesis just to meet guys. An idea that's much cheaper and a hell of a lot more fun? Play co-rec softball. At least that way, if you're stinky and dirty and you meet a cutie, chances are he's been drinking, so he'll look right past the red dirt on your cheeks.

Hmmm, I'm trying to decide what the moral of this story is.

Looking forward to this time tomorrow when I'll be commiserating with co-workers at Granite City. Love that place.

Peace Out.

3 comments:

Candice said...

I've never been to Granite City, although I do want to try it. I think it'll be better when I can drink beer though.

I have free access to the WSU gym but I don't use it or my DRC membership because I hate working out in front of other people. I'm self-concious about being weak and out of shape. I might go for a day but then I get lazy. I like working out with friends, but I hate using gyms. I have to be doing some sort of game or sport or I get bored. I took an 8 a.m. Saturday yoga class at the DRC with my mom a few years ago, but half the time I slept through the class; when I did end up going, I fell asleep in class because the music was so darn relaxing. What a waste. Yoga's boring. But I like belly dancing because we actually do something and the ladies are hil-ar-i-ous.

So I have a blogger account and I made a new blog, but how do you add the sites to the side? I want to do that too!

Candice said...

p.s. Check out my blog!
http://candeye.blogspot.com/

Kirk said...

Yeah, but will guys hit on you if your ballcap is covered with red dirt after throwing it to the ground in disgust?

Related Posts with Thumbnails