Monday, February 19, 2007

Senior Citizen Sorority House

You know that feeling? The one you get when you first see your Mom or Dad or other adult you know and trust and love fall and get hurt, or have something horrible happen to them?

I've had that feeling a few times in my life. Once, I was rollerblading with my Dad - yes, my dad is that cool, he used to rollerblade with me - and we were going down this big hill. I think something got caught in one of his wheels and he fell. Hard. On his back. He didn't cry or anything like that, but it scared the crap out of me. Probably because I was worried about him, and also because I knew Mom would be pissed if he hurt his back, since he has to help lift Jayne around. I don't remember how old I was then.

Then, when my Grandpa Sax died, I was 16, and it was really hard to see how sad my mom was. You just think about your parents being indestructible, and when you finally realize they're not, there's a paradigm shift that is scary for a young person.

Well, right now, both of my grandmas (they're the only grandparents I have left - both of the pas have died) are living in a care home. The same one. One, most likely permanently, the other, just until she's rehabbed. No, not for drugs like Britney and Lindsey and all those crazy types. She really hurt her shoulder. I talked to her on the phone tonight, and I'm sure she's doped up with painkillers, and her speech was kind of slurred. That was weird. I don't mean she was weird, just that it was unsettling to hear her in that state.

When my Grandma Jarsulic first moved into her apartment (it was sorta like assisted living) we joked that it was the Senior Citizen Sorority House - activities all the time, floormates, meals served together. About the only thing they didn't have was a sleeping dorm. Bingo and arts and crafts whenever you want! Now it seems like it's a little more serious. I know it's tough, and it really makes me not look forward to being old.

Meanwhile, my poor mom is taking care of her 29-year-old daughter, and her own mom AND mother-in-law. Bet that's not what she signed up for when she took early retirement.

I guess one moral of this story might be: "Be careful how you treat your fam-damily, because they might be the ones taking care of you and making all the decisions someday."

Who knows. Enough of this, I've got a basketball game to watch. Go Cats - beat those damn Hawks!

By the way, played Cranium with Stacey and Eugene this weekend. Any game that requires the participants to mold clay, draw with their eyes closed and play charades is all right by me...Hint.Hint.Gift idea alert.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails