Sunday, June 15, 2008

Friday the 13th luck on Saturday the 14th

This weekend our friends Chad and Amel came to see us. They arrived on Friday night, and checked in to their "romantic" hideaway at the Doubletree. We met them for a drink or two at Wil Jenny's, then they went off to the Hereford House for a nice dinner.

They have a small daughter at home, and this was the first time they've left her for the weekend.

Saturday, we got up to go meet them and do some shopping and have lunch. We arrived at the Doubletree, and they followed us to our new house, where we planned to leave one of our cars. They offered to drive, so we got in their car, and headed out to Nieman road. All of a sudden, I felt really sick to my stomach. Like, I thought I might throw up right then. So, we stopped at the Walgreen's at Shawnee Mission Parkway and Nieman. While Adam and I ran in, Chad and Amel stayed in the car.

I got some pink stuff, and we went back to the car. Off again, headed to the plaza. About a half mile from Walgreen's, the AC started to blow HOT air. The temp gauge was all the way at hot.

Uh oh.

We turned around and went back to the house, parked the car. Chad made some phone calls, and had to get a tow to the shop.

Four hours, six hundred dollars and one new radiator later, they were on their way back to Doodah. We didn't get to take them to the plaza, or the Legends, because I think by the end of the afternoon, they just wanted to get the heck outta Dodge. Can't say I blame them.

We took them to Winsteads (it was close, and they can't get it in Wichita) for lunch.

Adam needed to cut the grass, but it was 90 degrees when they left, so we decided to go ahead and go to Nebraska Furniture Mart. I guess we did our part to stimulate the economy, because our stimulus check (or part of it, at least) is now in the form of a brand-new washer and dryer, and a $19 gas grill. Delivery is scheduled for Thursday, so that's my deadline for getting the laundry room painted and ready.

Yesterday can go down in history as the only time in my life I've ever uttered these words: "Thank you, George W."

We're headed off to work today, and play in the trivia regionals tonight. We'll see what develops.

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Bummer for your friends. I'm still waiting for G.W. to send me our check. Hopefully it will be here for our trip to hawaii.

Bets said...

Ditto to Kathryn ...
I'm waiting for my check, too! I guess it doesn't help that most of my mail is currently "in limbo" somewhere in the USPS system!

Heather rules said...

Still here waiting here too!

$19 gas grill??? Wha???

chitknit said...

Well, if you spend a certain amount ($699 I think), then you get the grill for just $19. And, we saw it at Lowe's - it's selling for about $150.

We thought it was a good deal!

Anonymous said...

Well my stimulus check has already come in and gone out. Paid to direct deposit and paid for it outright to be done. The only good thing GWB has ever done but for some reason I think it will come back to bite us in the butt.
JUST A NOTE GIRLS: friend had her purse stolen out of her locked car, left the window down a smidgen so they were able to hook it and open it up.Cops said NEVER leave your window down even a bit. First place they went with her debit card. Gas station. They must have stood there and let people fill up and probably took 1/2 price in cash. Just be careful. Gas is like gold.

Related Posts with Thumbnails