Sunday, July 13, 2008

Collaboration Nation

Whew. I just returned from a weekend of collaboration with fellow journalism teachers in Manhattan.

It was exhilarating and exhausting. The energy and excitement and organic ideas that spring up from the process really get me ready to go back to school and start working with this year's crop of J1 students.

The ride home is always the time I realize how tired I really am. When we're in the thick of planning, debate, setting up web tools, etc., I feel like I can power through. When it's all said and done, and I'm just a passenger in a car, the zzzz's start flying. It's like my brain needs a rest period or something.



We're trying to develop the first national PLC for journalism teachers. It's tough to be the only one in a building teaching a subject. You have no one to talk content with, no one to bounce ideas specifically related to a journalism class off of. We're going to see if we can make it work using the technology that's out there.

Our goal is to make sure students are actually learning what we want them to. Sometimes, teachers get caught up in thinking like this: "Well, I stood up there and 'taught' them, so of course they know the material."

That's not always the case.

I never thought I'd be excited about collecting data (because many times, the data we collect at school doesn't seem to inform my instruction enough, being the singleton teacher), but I think this is going to be really cool.

We've got a great group - a wealth of knowledge, experience and different teaching styles. It'll be interesting to see what develops.

•••

Of course, part of the exhausting part is that any time there's a meeting in Manhattan, we do tend to "collaborate" until late in the evening every once in a while.

Last night, we traded ideas on "low-light photography" techniques...

Photo by Mark.


Photo by Mark. (I thought this was pretty cool. Guy's got an eye!)



Photo by Jill. This would have been much cooler had she not been looking at me. This was shot from my hip, but with them damn autofocus pre-light on my digital Elph, she knew what I was up to. I was looking up the stairs at the time, away from her, but she figured it out, I guess. Oh well, I still like it.


Kind of funky experimental photo by Mark.


•••

And, I guess I must be doing something right because look what I found on the bathroom wall:


Ten bucks to the first reader who can comment and correctly identify in which establishment these photos were taken!

Okay, maybe not $10, but lots of blog love and fame...

4 comments:

Cary said...

Auntie Mae's

chitknit said...

As they say, "Your check's in the mail!"

See you next week!

ksukim said...

that was my guess also. I'd love to hear about the PLC stuff. I'm going to find the caption a day stuff this week and I'll get it to you!!

34th Stater said...

While it looks like my wife's first apartment I have to go with 'The House That Beasley Built."

Related Posts with Thumbnails