Sunday, July 27, 2008

Let this be a lesson to you

We spent Saturday night on the Country Club Plaza last night.

Did we eat at the Melting Pot? Kona?

Have drinks at O'Crowds? Tomfooleries?

Nope.

We spent Saturday night at the Apple Store on the plaza, watching Genius Beau remove the hard drive from my laptop and replace it with a new one. It's amazing to me that something that would fit in the palm of my hand could cause me so much stress this weekend.

The first question he asked: "Was it backed up?"

The first question Amy asked when I texted her about my predicament: "WTF? Backed up?"

Um, SOME of it was. Certainly not all of it. Most of my school stuff is backed up, I believe, but I'm not sure what else was. I guess I'll find out as I start looking for things. Thankfully, I've been using my school laptop for most of my work the last few weeks, so any new documents for school are on my other machine.

And yes, I backed up everything on THAT laptop last night after we got home from the Apple Store.

Bad news is: I was planning to take my personal laptop to California this week. It's smaller, lighter, easier to travel with than the MacBookPro.

Good news is: I'm a procrastinator, so I hadn't yet built anything new and saved it only to the laptop yet. Didn't lose any stuff specifically for the workshop.

The other good news: We bought the laptop last summer. The warranty expires August 4, so the new hard drive was installed free of charge under warranty. That's about the only positive out of the whole deal. Well, that, and the fact that it made me go back up everything else.

So, ladies and gents: BACK UP EVERYTHING. I thought I'd get lucky, that they'd run recovery since it was under warranty. Nope. Especially those of you who have tons of photos of your little babies on your computers.

5 comments:

Mitzi said...

I fully expect a tutorial on how to back things up provided by the Chittums...I'll bring the snacks, enough for an army as usual.

Bets said...

Thanks for the warning, Mom.

I need help, too! If Mitzi is bringing leftover Runts, what else could I possibly need to bring?

Nicki said...

If you are running Leopard, play with the settings in Time Machine, it should prompt you to back up every so often if you set it that way.... I back mine up every so often (mostly my itunes) to an external drive, so if something icky should happen I won't be completely screwed. Thank goodness it was under warranty, those apple techs are proud of their screwdriving skills! Have fun in Cali, the house is looking great!

Lori said...

hey, jilly: the exact same thing happened to me last month. my hard drive failed and i lost everything: photos, iTunes, etc. but i didn't have any work stuff on it. and no, i still haven't backed up anything. i also was under warranty. just bought this laptop last august. i thot macs were indestructible!!

Unknown said...

That totally stinks, Jill! I'm in Calif. now, but when I get back to Kan., that's the first thing I'm going to do.

Related Posts with Thumbnails