Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Welcome to Manhattan, where we sit at the bar and play and play Round Robin Mullets

Day three of Flint Hills.

We're in production on the Kedzie Krier and tonight is our late night. Hopefully we'll get a lot done today, so we won't be here too late into the night. Deadline is 3 p.m. tomorrow.

Last night, we made the annual pilgrimage to Last Chance. It was a small group, and the conversation turned to mullets. Not sure what precipitated it, could have been the 4X4 truck, covered in mud, with a four-wheeler in the back that cruised down Moro. There just might have been a mullet in the cab.

Cary, the New Yorker in the bunch, was by far the winner of the "list the mullets" contest.

The rest of us could simply describe the mullets, but he knew all the names.

Kentucky Waterfall.
Business in the front, party in the back.
Fe-Mullet.
Fam-Mullet.
Achy Breaky Bad Mistakey.

This list is a poor representation, I'm forgetting a bunch. Cary needs to jump on here and comment so he can fill in the blanks.

•••

We're doing a story about past camps - the workshop has been in existence in some form since 1959. I've been looking at old camp yearbooks, and they include portraits of each camper. In the 1971 edition, I ran across a GEM.

Bob D. Lutz, Derby High School, Panther's Tale Sport Editor.

Yes, yes, Eagle friends, I shot a copy of it. I'll be holding on to that one for a while.

Off to help with production.

7 comments:

Bets said...

I want to see a picture of the yearbook from when I was there! Hilarious!

Miss you. Adam stopped by today to see the place. Get back soon! :)

Heather rules said...

Um, I'm gonna need to see that pic of Mr. Bob. That would be hilarious!

ksukim said...

I'm jealous. I wish I was in Manhappiness!!

Chris said...

I was a camper there once, too. Let's see, I think it would have been 1986.

Heather rules said...

BTW - The mullet references are super funny. Loving the "Kentucky Waterfall"

chitknit said...

Yeah, that one's pretty good. Even better was one I forgot -

The Tennessee Top Hat.

Cary said...

I think there were two girls at the workshop that year (1998?) who were absolutely striking and they seemed to keep to themselves. They were both really tall and looked to be about 22. I am pretty sure that girl in the background of Betsy's picture is one of them.

As for the mullet round robin, it's funny that the very next night there was a pub crawl of 20 or so rip roaring drunk carnies passing through Aggieville. A few other names are the Camaro Cut, the Soccer Rocker, Skullet, Squirrel Pelt, Mullhawk and the Mississippi Mudflap

Related Posts with Thumbnails