Saturday, July 19, 2008

Really, kids? You think you're so smart.

We got our green on last night. I had a check to deposit, so we rode our bikes to the bank. Once we got home, we decided to walk over to the Daily Dose "Coffee Shop and Bar." It's nice to be able to do some commuting on bike or foot, since we won't be able to commute to work by bike or bus. (Come on, KC, get a freakin' light rail! Or, just a more comprehensive bus schedule!)

I had some work I needed to get done for my last two camps, and Adam was reading a book, so we thought going to the coffee shop would be a nice change. Allegedly, the shop turns into a 21 and over establishment after 9:30. I don't believe that.

Decent atmosphere, but mixing a coffee shop and bar doesn't really work, at least not in this place. The bar is in the back, but you can have drinks anywhere in the establishment. It seemed like most of the drinkers were young kids, and by that, I mean 21, 22 (God, I'm getting old).

At the tables in the front, it was mostly people like Adam and I: a girl who was applying online to JCCC, and working on some paperwork, a guy with three (!) calculators and a giant scary math textbook. But, there was a sitting area near us filled with a drunk drama queen and two boys. As she spewed expletives about some horrible event in her life, the boys were feeding her more to drink.

You know, if you have to do that, I don't care, just do it quietly! It's not like we were in a bar and there was loud music. It was quiet in the area, so all of us could hear EV-Ree-Thing she was saying, whether we wanted to or not.

Thankfully, she got some kind of code red text message and had to leave RIGHT THEN. So they left. We all breathed a sigh of relief and shared knowing glances.

Unfortunately, we sighed too soon.

The next little couch group was boys who looked the same age as my students (read: not over 21). Boy, did they think they were cool. Here's an excerpt of their conversation, which seemed curiously spoken above private conversation level on purpose:

"Wow, I sure do love my friend Mary Jane."
"She's so cool."
"She makes me really hungry though. All the time, I want to eat, eat, eat."
"Yeah, me too. Mary Jane makes me want chips."

I counted. They said Mary Jane 17 times in about two minutes.

Really, boys? Did you get high in your mom's basement, but then decide you needed to go out in public so that you could make sure everybody knows you're cool enough to get high? There was a poor girl sitting by herself at the table next to us, on Facebook on her laptop. Pretty soon, one of the boys sits down and starts talking her up. Thirty seconds later, his posse joins her as well.

Imagine the scene: three teenage boys acting like Seth Green in the movie "Can't Hardly Wait", one woman, on laptop, drinking a beer, all seated at a tiny, two-person bistro table.

I'm sure she was thrilled.

4 comments:

Mitzi said...

I have only been there once, to the coffee part, but yes, it is weird to mix a coffee shop and a bar. Apparently they have live music sometimes, since they have a small "stage" in the back. I have driven by when it is pretty busy, but probably everyone inside are friends of the Mary Jane-ers. Maybe they thought you old people hadn't ever heard that term before. Ick...

Kathryn said...

Black is back, baby!!! Like it. Good to hear some KC news.

Anonymous said...

Auntie Janet wants to know whats the update on the house? Plans for a housewarming getting close?

Bets said...

I like the black! Yippee for change. Wait ... does this mean my pink background is old news?

Related Posts with Thumbnails