Thursday, July 31, 2008

Jilli California



I've been in California for five days. In those five days, I've experienced two very "California" things that I haven't on all my trips here before.

For about 15 seconds on Tuesday morning, I watched chandeliers shake and icewater move while my chair rocked underneath me.

It felt exactly like rolling water under me. I'm so oblivious though, that it wasn't until someone said "Hey, that's an earthquake" that I actually realized what had happened. That thought never crossed my mind.

We were far enough away from the epicenter that we didn't feel the full force, I'm sure, but I'm so glad I have experienced that. The other teachers who were at the conference with me were up in a ninth floor room and they said they felt the building sway about three feet to the left and right. I was on the ground floor, so I didn't get that sensation.


We did get to go to the Padres game.


Seventh-inning stretch, of course.


I wore a K-State shirt to the ballgame. I like to do that when I'm far from home to see if anyone else around is a K-Stater. While we were waiting in the ticket line, this guy up in the office got our attention. It was intensely gratifying since I was only one of two KSU fans in a whole group of KU fans all week.


We did get to the beach at Coronado island.








We had to cram in the subway to get to Coronado, since we set out right at rush hour. It was so nice to be able to get around on trains all week.

P.S. The weather in San Diego is freakin' great.

More later.

11 comments:

Kathryn said...

Sounds like a lot of fun (except the earthquake). Call me when you get home!

Bets said...

Great pics!

So sad that you ran into a KSU fan on your trip. How disgusting :)

Come home soon! My crafty room needs some organizing!

ksukim said...

But I bet you didn't get to eat chips and BBQ at the Stuga. Travis and I had some for you!!

P.S. It was 97 degrees today in Lindsborg.

Mitzi said...

Hi, Jilli!

I am home finally and am looking forward to seeing you and the A-man. Missed you guys-

I have been to Petco Park and Coronado-so it was fun to see your pics! Come home soon!

chitknit said...

Thanks, ladies! I'll talk to you all very soon!

Anonymous said...

Coronado was (and still is) my favorite beach in San Diego! That was the only beach we went to when I lived there. It's always great to see it, so thanks for posting the pictures! Hope to see you soon!

Amy

Heather rules said...

Glad you survived the quake. Those things are SCARY. I got to experience one in the summer of 86 in Southern Cali. Very scary for a 10 year old.

Lori said...

What a trip. Love the photos!

Candice said...

looks like fun...I'm jealous.

Bets said...

P.S. I LOVE that you have a Jayhawk Spirit ad on your page right now! :)

Unknown said...

The guy in the box office ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

How awesome is that????

Related Posts with Thumbnails