Monday, May 28, 2007

The Unwashed Masses (or, why I haven't blogged for three days)



We survived the annual Memorial Day Camping Extravaganza/Food Fest. This year, we camped below the dam at Fall River Lake.

Our site was roomy, the bathrooms (with flush toilets!) were close, and it was nice and cool the whole weekend.

Thank God for Browns Shelter (Apostrophe excluded on purpose, for all you copy editors out there. You'll see why in a minute.), though, because I think it rained about 10 inches while we were roughing it.

The photo above is all of us who did not shower/wash hair for the duration of the campout - Friday at 4 p.m. til Monday at 1 p.m. Good thing this blog isn't equipped with smell-o-vision - we were all pretty rank I'm sure, mixing sweat, blood (in a few cases), tears, mud, bug spray, sunscreen and lake water.

I'm happy to report no major catastrophes, although Kat did have to bust out her mad P.A. skills when a glass bottle exploded in the fire and Dan was hit with shrapnel. I'm confident he'll be receiving the first-ever MemDay Campout Purple Heart for being wounded in the line of duty (while staring at the campfire, drinking beer).

Here's the whole group. You can file this under "Things I'll miss about Wichita in no particular order No. 72 - My incredible group of friends"



Because there were so many media types on this trip, I feel as though I must point out that we made copious jokes about the fact that Browns Shelter is lacking proper puncuation on the sign for our campsite. Unfortunately, we had no red pens or white chalk.

Thanks to Terri Wenzel for shooting the photo - so she's on the "Not Pictured List."

By the way, thanks to Ma, Pa and Jayne for the suh-weet new camera I got for my birthday!


I have many, many more photos from camping, but it'll take a little while to process, so I hope you enjoyed your small preview. Consider it the coming attractions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If the shelter were simply named after the brown family, but the shelter doesn't BELONG to them, I could see just using the plural, perhaps.
???

Related Posts with Thumbnails