Sunday, August 19, 2007

JoCo - it's like a whole other country, er...I mean "county"

I'll get to some of the other differences in a moment, but the main difference between JoCo and SegCo that inspired this post is: HILLS! There are hills in Overland Park!

True, they're not mountains. Heck, they're not even Flint Hills or Gyp Hills, but dang it, when you go for a four-mile run, you start to notice hills.

We did our first "long run" training day today (four miles), and I can already tell it's a better workout (read: pretty much kicked my butt) trying to run in this area. In our College Hill days, usually there was only one hill I'd have to do on each run. Not so any more.

We got lucky this morning, though. We "slept in" til 9 a.m., and it was still only 81 degrees when we went for the run. It's so much more pleasant spending an hour outside when temps are in the 80s!

•••

Another difference between OP and Doodah? When you're walking through a parking lot, you see about 10 times more liberalish/environmentalist/Democrat/etc. bumper stickers than the "others."

Since I've moved here, in fact, I don't think I've seen ONE "It's a child not a choice", "Abortion stops a beating heart", etc., type of sticker. I mean NOT ONE. In Wichita, I'd see those about 50 times a day. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are here, I just haven't seen any yet.

Of course, I've seen my fair share of "W" stickers, but it's refreshing to see Dennis Moore and John Kerry represented in parking lots as well.

•••

So, the other night, Adam and I were biking through the parking lot at the Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead, and there were about 15 vehicles in the lot for some type of birthday party in one of the park's shelters. Of those 15, would you like to guess how many WERE NOT mini-vans or SUVs?

ONE. Yep, that's right. ONE.

•••

Well, I'd better get back to work on organizing our spare bedroom/office. I'd like to be able to post a photo soon that doesn't say "We just moved in and we're still trying to sort stuff."


3 comments:

Tess Knadler said...

You are so right about the hills. It's not easy running in OP, but man, it does pay off... You will be in awesome shape after a few weeks of workouts there.

Denise said...

Jill: I had ALL THE SAME THOUGHTS when I was in Lenexa last weekend. (I even saw my first Obama 4 Prez sticker there.) It got me to thinking: hills, liberals, minivans-- WHY DON'T I LIVE HERE??

chitknit said...

Why don't you live here?!

;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails