Saturday, August 18, 2007

Westerburg High

Okay, how come stuff like this never happened while I was living in Wichita, in the same town as Kevin K., and Denise, or TK, who could have been the other members of my three-man team?!

Today, in Lawrence, there's a "World Series of Pop Culture"-esque tournament. It starts at 3, but you have to go early to take a qualifying test. AND, it's based on teams of three, so, alas, I cannot go it alone. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't share my pride at being a child of the 80s, and has therefore blocked out most of the decade. (I don't think he watched a lot of MTV back then, anyway - they never had cable.)

They're giving away prizes, but the item in the paper didn't specify what the prizes are.

Dammit.

Note to self: Must start making friends in the area quickly so that I can take advantage of the next opportunity that arises. I would totally be getting ready to drive to Lawrence right now if I had a team!

•••
Here's Adam and Joshua at our pool.


Last night, Joshua stayed with us. He's on his way back to Bethel from Georgia. We went out to eat in Westport - McCoy's Public House. I highly recommend it if you're in the area. They serve their own beers, and the menu is varied. We started with Lobster Spring Rolls, then Joshua and I each had a salad, and Adam had a buffalo burger.


McCoy's is pretty cool - they have a very large patio, and it's right in the middle of old Westport, so there's constantly people going by. If you like to people watch while you eat, it's a good spot. And, the temperature had gone down to a balmy (?) 93 degrees by 7 p.m., so we really weren't even sweating while sitting outside.

•••

Speaking of sweating being outside, we had a huge pep rally at the football stadium yesterday to welcome the freshmen. It had to have been 105 degrees, and we were all wearing BLACK BV T-shirts. You know that feeling like there's a bug crawling down your back, but it's actually a bead of sweat? Nail on the head, right there.

Even though it was hot as hell, it was really fun. The band performed, the dance team performed, and all the coaches introduced their teams.

The principal stepped out to speak, and when he did, the DJ played that song "This is why I'm hot." I was kinda thinking to myself "Uh, is he...? Did they...? Is someone playing a joke?"

The teachers got a good laugh out of that, but this is why I think he's such a great principal - he stepped out and said "I'M HOT BECAUSE I'M FIRED UP!" And went off on his spiel. ("Fired Up" is kind of like the catchphrase for BVHS.) I swear, that guy should be a motivational speaker - he gets the teachers excited about what they're doing, and all the kids respond to him as well. He's a great example of what being excited about your job does for everyone around you.

In two weeks, the BVHS football team (defending state champs - 5A) takes on the defending 6A state champs in our season opener. Other teachers are already saying "You might as well just stay there that Friday night unless you want to park 10 miles away - it will be packed."

•••

I've gotten a few e-mails from my Derby kiddoes. It's so weird that I'm going to school, and they're going to school, but we aren't seeing each other every day. It's definitely an adjustment.
I've already called my hours "blocks" (that's what they were at DHS), and I've almost slipped up and said "Panther Mentors" instead of "Tiger Mentors."

4 comments:

Lori said...

I'm kinda jealous that you're in that high school environment. Must be pretty cool -- sometimes. Hope you have a great year.

Denise said...

Ohhhh! And I'm even in the Lawrence metro area right now. DOH!

Anonymous said...

it's not that i didn't have cable, i was just out livin' it up instead of sitting in front the boobtube!

Anonymous said...

I think Maria, my brother, sister-in-law and I went to McCoy's once. I'm pretty sure it's the same place. Anyway, if it is, the place has the BEST. ROOTBEER. EVER.

Related Posts with Thumbnails