Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Livin's easy

How funny that Shep asked about the apartment life after my last post.

As I was trudging over to the mailbox this afternoon, I was thinking to myself, "Self, you need to write about how it is living in an apartment after owning a house all this time."

Overall, it's been all right. We're on the lower level, so no schlepping groceries up a flight of stairs. And, until the last two or three days, I haven't heard our upstairs neighbor at all. But, all of a sudden, it's like whoever lives up there gained 100 pounds, because I'm always hearing he/she walking around, opening their sliding glass deck door, etc. No loud music or TV noise, and no gettin' busy noise, so that's good.

I do ABSOLUTELY hate walking to the mailbox. I LOVE LOVE LOVE checking mail, but it's more fun checking it in our cool old school post box on our Holyoke house. It's not that it's too far, and I'm not lazy, I just hate the thought of it.

One thing that really annoys me about the other Dunes Dwellers is that three times now, people have asked me for the code to the clubhouse after hours.

Point for debate here: Would you give it or not?

I won't. How am I supposed to know that they actually live here? And, it's only six digits. The managers give it to each of us on a piece of paper. How hard is it to keep up with that? What if I let some "resident" in on Saturday, and then Sunday, when someone else goes in to use the gym, there's a crazy man who's been hiding in the bathroom overnight waiting to pounce?

Plus - there are computers in the building, and we can't even have free weights in the gym because some a-holes stole them all when they DID have free weights. This is why we can't have nice things. Luckily for us, treadmills and ellipticals and the weight system can't be carried out easily so they're still there.

I really like the property manager though, she gets things done. Did I already say that we got a brand-new refrigerator? Our old one was freezing stuff that was in the fridge, no matter what setting it was on, and the icemaker didn't work. Now we have one that does, at no cost to us (at least, no immediate cost to us).

Last but not least, we don't have to mow the lawn. I like yardwork, but Adam doesn't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we once had an upstairs neighbor that vacummed 2 to 4 times a day! really, how dirty are you people?!

Maria said...

Man! I hope you get a house soon.

Jaime said...

My worst apartment ordeal is when I had to write a note to the upstairs neighbor telling her that her loud sex was keeping me up at night. Sheesh! She did quiet down, thankfully, and so did he.

Related Posts with Thumbnails