Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Ground control to Major Tom

Well, today's field trip pretty much went off without a hitch. No kids left behind - I think we can agree that's always a good thing.

The biggest problems we had were with the bus. Jeez, in the morning, it was 15 minutes late picking us up, and in the afternoon, 15 minutes late picking us up. Someone, somewhere, in their infinite wisdom, thought it would make sense if the driver did her regular morning route, and then picked us up after she dropped all the other kids off.

I know it's been a while since some of you have been in a high school circle drive at 7:30 a.m., so let me tell you - IT'S AN ABSOLUTE MESS. Don't you think the BUS company, of all people, would realize this as well? The poor driver - she sat in traffic in the circle drive for 15 minutes, waiting to get out so she could pull around and get us picked up.

Of course it's fun and exciting to be in a bigger city, bigger school district, etc., but I'm not gonna lie. I really appreciated the fact that, at Derby, I knew the folks who ran the bus barn by name and face. They worked for the district, not some outside corporation who does it on contract (similar to the Wichita schools setup).

The students all seemed pretty jazzed up when we left - sounds like they heard some cool things, and got re-excited for working on yearbook and newspaper. I know there are quite a few newspaper types who read this blog - so I just want you to know that any time you speak to students like that you've done a great thing. The kids won't usually let you know that while you're talking with them, but for weeks afterward, I hear "remember what so-and-so told us that day they were here?" It really does make an impression on the journalism students.

On the bus ride on the way up to Lawrence, one of the girls wrote a rap about BVHS publications. I'm going to ask her for special dispensation so I can post it to my blog later this week. The best part is - she's the most straight-laced, youth group, all-American white girl you'd ever meet. She even went to engineering camp at MU this summer, and she wrote a RAP today. It includes the line: "Chitty Chitty comin' up from Derby town, this is how we throw down."

Just a little preview for you. Like I said, I'll try to get a copy of the rest so y'all can see it.

TV note for tonight - Kid Nation, anyone? I think Greg's going to do something really stupid next week. I also think they went out to the most redneck, small towns they could find to dig up some of these kids. Maybe those were the only parents willing to give up their kids for money? To listen to some of the kids talk - yikes. I will say though, that there's a 14-year-old on the show that I wish was on one of my publications staffs. He's seems to really grasp the concept of "We're all in this together, and let's lift one another up instead of acting like jerks all the time."

Private Practice? I guess I liked it. I just think they're trying way too hard with the whole Addison-doesn't-know-what-the-hell-she-wants thing. Her speech at the end? "I thought I had a big finish. But I don't. No big finish." Is it not possible to make at least one of the women on PP or Grey's not be a complete bumbling idiot? I know we all have our flaws, but the little feminist in me says that it would be nice to see a strong, smart, successful woman, be just that. We need more Baileys!

1 comment:

Maria said...

All the critics are saying the same thing about Private Practice--that these are great actors who aren't being given good enough scripts.

I like the show--I just hope it works the kinks out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails