Sunday, September 28, 2008

All it took was one cheesy dream sequence - no more Grey's Anatomy for me

WARNING: Don't read this if you're a Grey's fan and you haven't watched the season premiere yet. Possible spoilers ahead.

Okay, now I'm back.

I'm so done with this show. How can a show that was once so good have gotten so bad? I mean, I used to sit on the edge of my seat, biting my nails, hoping the show wouldn't end as the end credits rolled.

Now, I sit on the edge of my seat because I'm afraid I might have to run to the bathroom and throw up!

Seriously - Cristina gets hit by a falling icicle (granted, a GIANT falling icicle) and she dreams of her and Meredith as old maids living together? How could they have even filmed that scene without cheese oozing out of their mouths? It was ridiculous. Maybe I just hate it when young actors are made up to look very old, because it never seems anything but cheesy to me, I don't know. But that was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back.

Not even hot-Army-guy-who's-so-hard-core-he-gave-himself-staples would keep me coming back for more of this crap. At the end of last season, when Meredith built her house of candles for McDreamy, I KNEW it wouldn't last. I knew the first show of this season would be her freaking out about making a commitment. It's what she does, and I'm tired of watching it and listening to it.

Do the writers of this show have to make everyone on it (especially the women) into bumbling idiots because of romantic entanglements? The scrub nurse who was so good at her job that every doctor wanted her in their OR "accidentally" cuts Derek with a scalpel? She's so flabbergasted by the fact that he chose Meredith (she's surprised by this?! Has she not seen them around the hospital?) that she can't do her job properly?

I've written about this before - that I don't like how they write the women on the show. It's really a stereotypical, somewhat offensive look at these characters, who are supposed to be so smart that they're in a surgical program. Alas, I guess they're not as smart as they thought, since their program is the now the 12th best in the country. If the people who wrote those ratings knew about all the sex the staff is having in the rooms in the hospital, or the crap that Izzy pulled, they'd probably be ranked 99th!

The best part of the show was the chief's speech at the end. I wish I could coach my yearbook and newspaper staffs like that! Or, more importantly, maybe he needs to give that speech to the writers and producers of the show!

Dear Grey's Anatomy,
I'm over you. Get over yourself. I think you've jumped the shark.
Sincerely,
Me

5 comments:

Bets said...

SOOOOOOOO glad I decided not to waste my time to get caught up on last season before this season started! Your post AND the recaps on The Soup and The Dish (yes, I'm still watching that crap) also showed how ridiculous it was!!!

alyson said...

I'm with you on that. I just watched it today online and I was very disappointed. I noticed myself getting bored and annoyed. But I'm cursed by the fact that once I start something I have to see it through. So I'll probably stick around til the end... which I'm guessing can't be too far away.

chitknit said...

I know how you feel, Alyson. But, I finally decided that I can spend that 45 minutes a week doing something else that I'll enjoy more! I guess you'll just have to let me know how it ends when it finally does!

RachelC said...

I also thought that it's hard to be a world-class teaching hospital when you're all so fixated on each other. Sadly, I will be coming back for more hot Army guy. Unlike these doctors, my love life isn't that exciting so I'll gladly watch this ridiculousness. Plus I've already broken up with a show this fall (Prison Break).

Kathryn said...

I agree. I hated the season opener. I told Jeff, Grey's gets two more episodes from me and if they don't redeam themselves, I'm officially out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails