Sunday, September 7, 2008

K-State fans! Are you ready?

That big smile on my face was about 55 points into K-State's 69-10 victory over Montana State last night in Manhattan. That, and the fact that we had great seats that only cost $15 apiece helped too.

It was Fort Riley day at the game, so there was a special section of military folk, and a huge ceremony at the beginning. Most of the ceremony is stuff they do every game - read the Preamble to the Constitutions, say the Pledge of Allegiance, the national anthem (of course), and the patriotic fanfare song that the Pride of Wildcat Land plays, but this time, they also honored veterans of all branches of the military who were in attendance.

About halfway through the third quarter, the soldiers starting helping Willie with the traditional push-ups following K-State scores. By the end of the night, the mascot had done something like 500 pushups. Good thing the mascot nose is so big he doesn't actually have to go all the way to the ground...
Our seats were in Row 18, in the south endzone. One of the new teachers at school is a K-Stater, and he sold us his tickets because he and his wife weren't able to make it. Before the game, we "hatchbacked" in the grain science parking area. We packed a picnic so we could eat before we went into to the game. Since we weren't actually grilling, and there was only two of us, I told Adam I didn't think we could actually call it "tailgating."

You can see that it wasn't exactly blue skies, but the weather wasn't too bad. It rained the whole way to Manhattan, stopped for a while, and then right before halftime, it stared drizzling and raining a bit. Our Gore-Tex jackets kept us nice and dry.

I can't remember the last time I got to go to a game, so I was pretty excited. We're going again on Sept. 27th. Same deal on the tickets. At least that game is in the afternoon, so we won't have to come home quite so late!

6 comments:

Bets said...

Cute pic of you two ... I see a Christmas card picture! :)

ksukim said...

Jill-- We were in the same endzone but at the top. Our seats are in section 19 but we bought the kids tickets for the first 3 games so we sit in the endzone with them. We'll be there the 27th. Email me and you guys can join us at our tailgate. We have a great time!! We'd love if you could join us!

chitknit said...

As we were LEAVING, I thought, I should have texted Kim. I figured you guys would have been there.

Dang it. We'll catch you on the 27th.

Mitzi said...

Cutie Cute pic of the Chittums! All decked out in their Wildcat Gear, too! I had fun seeing you guys on Friday night--glad you had a good time at the game!

alyson said...

Yes, absolutely!

And it was super hard. It took me a really long time and I had to rely on my friend for some help.

Have fun at school tomorrow, looks like you enjoyed your weekend.

Kathryn said...

Great Wildcat pictures!! You two look great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails