Monday, October 29, 2007

I always wanted an Easy-Bake Oven (or, Friendship Bread)


Have any of you ever done this before? I had never heard of it until I became a teacher, then someone at Derby gave me a "starter" one time, and we went through the process, and it was AWESOME.

Then, just the other day, there were a couple of "starters" in the teacher's lounge, so we're on day 6 of this batch.

Supposedly it's some super-secret Amish recipe and only they know how to make the starter. Basically, all you have to do is follow the day-by-day instructions (like Day 1: Mash the bag.) and then you add a little flour, sugar and milk (we did that today) and then continue mashing for a few days, etc.

Eventually you get to the baking part (but not before you divide out your own one-cup starters) and the process begins again.

The finished bread is SO good. Now, I just have to get to work finding friends to give it to up here.

•••

Dumbest thing I saw all day? Some idiot on the comments section of the Eagle's story about the Derby Wal-Mart starts a thread that it was a terrorist attack. Give me a break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the one time we tried to make one, my airdale ate the starter bag on the last day. talk about disappointing. you look forward to yummy homemade bread for days -- then get to mop the kitchen floor instead.

Related Posts with Thumbnails