Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The other kind of delivery

Producing a yearbook gets compared to having a baby A LOT. Both take nine months. Both are highly emotional endeavors. Both have up days and down days. Yearbook staff members look at the finished product as "their baby." And, each book weighs 6 pounds - about the size of some small newborns.

Today, ours was delivered.

See those palettes? We unloaded seven (!) of them, 25 boxes to a palette. Each box containing 10 books weighs 60 pounds. This is when you really start to wish that there was more than one boy on the staff. Unlucky for us, guess who was just about the only staffer who had a test and couldn't miss class to help carry.

Yep. The boy. Here's the crew who helped unload. We considered it our strength training workout for the day, and we all agreed that we wouldn't need to work out after school. Luckily, it was only lightly sprinkling, not pouring rain when we did the deed.


Once we got each palette inside, we had to undo do the shrink wrap and start the bucket brigade.


Usually, I ask the editors to cut open the first box, but the girls wanted me to do it. I think they were nervous that they'd accidentally cut the covers on the top of the box. (I was nervous about that, too.)


I love this photo. These are the co-editors-in-chief, and I love how they look nervous and excited as I open the first box. They loved the cover. It looks great.


Sorry to say, dear readers, you'll have to wait until Friday to see the finished product - just like the rest of the student body. The books are under lock and key in the computer lab for the next 48 hours. Hopefully some extremely muscular thieves won't find their way into my classroom in the next few days.

The worst part is that I'm out of the building all day tomorrow for a committee meeting on drug and alcohol abuse prevention. Bad timing. I hope the sub can follow my no-unlocky-of-the-doory instructions.

But, the week is halfway over - and today's task was one of the biggest. All's well so far.

6 comments:

Jaime said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to see that beautiful cover.

Jaime said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to see that beautiful cover.

Kathryn said...

Jill!! Congrats! This is such a busy time of year. I like the update to the blog.

ksukim said...

congrats!! I am so very jealous!!!

Bets said...

YEAH! I see boxes for me to pack with. Can't wait to flip through, too.

Can I sign your yearbook? Here's what I'll write:

Jilly ...
What a bitchin' year! We're going to have a rad summer ... let's go to the pool every day!
L.Y.L.A.S. - Bets

Heather rules said...

Can't wait to check out the finished product!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails