Thursday, October 30, 2008

El Dia de Los Kickballs (Or Muertos)

This is an historic post, O readers of the Chittum Files: You are about to see the first post with photos taken entirely from my iPhone, not a digital camera of some sort. I'm not posting from the phone - I don't have the patience or attention span to try to type all of this on the miniature keyboard.

El Guapo played the first round of the end-of-season playoffs tonight. True to our Mexican roots, we celebrated El Dia de los Muertos while on the playing field. I knew that was the plan, and I needed to get there earlier if I wanted to get my face painted.

Of course, newspaper is on deadline, and their worknight was tonight. They packed it in at 6:30, I scooted home, quickly changed clothes and headed off to Penn Valley Park.

Let me tell you - most of you probably don't know how far it is from 159th street to downtown. Downtown (at least where we play) is around 25th street. I didn't think I would get there in time for the game, let alone for the pre-game revelry.

But, I made it home, changed, hopped back in the car and got to the game in time for Andrea to get my pre-game ritual taken care of.

My face felt so itchy after she painted. I don't think I really was itchy, but since I knew I couldn't scratch it, or touch it, for fear of smearing, all I could think about was how my skin felt funny and needed to be scratched!

CY and Rita definitely win the prize for complete costumes - check out their bones! Cap'n Dave, one of the instigators of this blessed event, is conspicuously makeup-free over there on the right...He SAYS it's because he had to ref the game right before and it went over. Maybe he just wussed out on the makeup?

Nah, I doubt it.

That's me, getting made up by Andrea. I shot that Hail Mary style with the phone while she did the work.

Checking out everyone's handiwork. That's Kristin back there on the left, working on Andrea's face. Wait til you see how it turned out. It's freaking great.

Bag of bones.


There's Kristin's handiwork. Check out all of the shading in those flowers. Not bad for a job completed in the dark, in the dugout.

What do you think about the iPhone photos? I might be able to eke 4x6 prints out of them for my scrapbook. Those'll be a little pixelated, but I think they look pretty damn good on here, considering they were shot after sundown, only lit by baseball field lights. I'll be interested to see what else I can do with the phone, photo wise.

Oh yeah, we crushed the other team, good ol' Swunts and Swalls. So, I think we play twice next week. I went 1 for 2, with a single and a run scored.

4 comments:

Bets said...

You are such a good sport! I typically want NOTHING to do with face paint. I agree that it makes you itchy, and about 30 minutes into wearing it I forget I have it on and smear it all over the place.The paint does look awesome, tho!

I think your pics turned out great! I can't imagine that my phone or any other phone could do as well. keep it up.

Kathryn said...

I think the i phone pictures turned out great. I only have 63 more days until I can get one!

Pam said...

I think those photos are great and I love all the face paint. Congrats on the win as well!

Mitzi said...

Yay for your new phone! Awesome pics, chickie..but then, could we expect anything less from The Chittum Files??

Related Posts with Thumbnails