Friday, October 24, 2008

Hate to tell you this, but you can't have it both ways.

An open letter to Sarah Palin and the Repubs:

Had some downtime during Parent/Teacher Conferences last night, so I was reading the New York Times and came across a couple of articles about Sarah Palin and her fancy-schmancy new wardrobe.

I just want to know, Sarah:

Are you "just a Hockey mom"?
Is your husband "Joe Six Pack"?
Are you really "just like typical Americans"?

I'm pretty sure I'm in your target audience, since I am Midwestern, middle class, etc. I mean, you can't get much more "American" than Middle America, so you don't have to worry about us being Anti-American, right?

But, I'm scratching my head, trying to figure out the last time I spent $150,000 on new work clothes. Oh, wait, that's right - NEVER. My work clothes come from Wal-Mart, Target and Kohl's, and Old Navy. I think that's what truly represents your everyday American who is on a budget.

So, which one is it? Would you rather be like all of us, as the Republican Party has been trumpeting for the last two months, or are you now a true member of the Washington elite? Option 2 doesn't sound too "Mavericky" to me. How 'bout just buying yourself a silkscreened T-shirt with "The New McCarthyism" emblazoned across it? Maybe that'll help you root out those nasty people who have done nothing wrong but disagree with you. Last time I checked, we are allowed to do that in this country, based on the First Amendment (and any of my high school freshmen could educate you on that). So, really, if you think they should be silenced and removed from government, maybe you're being Anti-American...

P.S. What will you do with all those clothes when you're done? Good luck paying income tax on all of it - they are gifts, after all.

6 comments:

Heather rules said...

Hell yeah!

Bets said...

We talked about this last night whilst waiting for our table. I want to know how in the world the Republican party can afford her clothes budget that is that big when the Dems raised about 300 times that amount of money just last month!

P.S. We HAVE had the conversation about me NOT wanting someone "just like me" as a potential President, right? I know I'm not nearly smart enough to be the (Vice)President, so someone "just like me" isn't good enough for the job!

34th Stater said...

If no one else says it ... I love the way you think (and write). When the 'Thought Police' come to arrest you, please call us to help raise your bail money.

Amy D. said...

I happen to think that this is one example of media picking on Palin. Sorry. She hasn't been in the national spotlight for years. Her professional wardrobe (she is in Alaska afterall) was probably nowhere NEAR campaign, tv, rally, natl interview ready. I bet you'd be shocked if you learned how many $2,000 suits and $200 ties Obama has. Throw in $200 shoes. Only he's been collecting this wardrobe over years. And we all know that any woman (Hillary, for example) is scrutinized WAY more than any male politician on the way she's dressed, how her hair looks, etc. Not right, but it is what it is. I'm sure Michele Obama has a close to a $150,000 wardrobe. They made $4 million last year. But she already had much of it and didn't have to acquire it all at once.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just sayin' I think it's silly for the media to be focusing on this.

chitknit said...

I see your point, Amy, but let's just say her outfits (including shoes, etc.) were $2000 a piece. That would mean they bought her 75 new outfits. I know she's campaigning, but most of us "ordinary Americans" wear our clothes more than once. I'm guessing she can too.

I agree that the media picked on Hillary, and picks on Palin, more than they do the men, but I also think that since she's playing the "I'm just like you card" the Republicans need to be more cognizant of what a spending spree looks like.

Hope you're feeling better, by the way! ;-)

Learning Spanish at 41 said...

This is just the typical result of humans being impressed (and obsessed) with what a person looks like on the outside instead of who they are on the inside. All folks in the public eye--politicians, movie stars, etc--dress to impress. It is the way of humans. I agree with the other comment about it being silly (my words would be shallow and pointless) for this to have become such a big deal in light of so many other things in this election and, more importantly, in life.

Have a super weekend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails