Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Dress Up Day - aka Parent Teacher Conferences

Today all the teachers were dressed like grown-ups! Many of the guys wore jackets and ties, some of the girls wore snazzy pantsuits. Not that we look horrible on a day-to-day basis, but when you're going to "meet the parents" you want to look nice. Especially in our district.

I was pretty busy for the first hour or so of conferences, but after that, I did a bunch of reading about Watergate, in an effort to have answers for some of the questions I know my students might ask tomorrow. It was a good time to catch up.

I've been teaching "All the President's Men" this last week - using a unit that another journalism teacher offered up. It's really helped the kids understand the movie - it's kind of heavy for freshmen to process. It's fun for me - some of them are really getting into the story of Woodward and Bernstein and asking lots of questions. Maybe it'll inspire some of them to pursue journalism as a career.

Tonight, a couple of the parents said that their kids have come home and talked to them about the story, and about what it was like in the U.S. at that time. I'm glad they're making connections with their parents and what we're doing in class.

5 comments:

Bets said...

Don't you just love when you can actually see the light bulbs turn on!?!?

Anonymous said...

Just Follow The Money!

Anonymous said...

Kids studying Watergate now have the added bonus of actually knowing who "Deep Throat"is/was. Us old folks had to wait 30 or 40 years.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Parent/Teacher conferences...
So much fun!

Bets said...

Off topic, but I think you should know that it only took me a week of reading here and there, but I've read your entire blog. It was a great way to learn even more about my friend, Jilly!

Related Posts with Thumbnails