Saturday, April 5, 2008

Support A Great Cause

I had been thinking for a while that I would write about Team in Training, the major fundraiser and fitness training program of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I'm not training for a marathon right now, but I still think it's a great cause. Since 1988, more than 360,000 participants have raised more than $850 million for cancer research. The great thing about Team in Training is that 90 cents of every dollar raised goes directly to finding a cure, not into bloated administration costs.

And, I have TWO reasons to write about TNT!

One:
Today, on our way to eat at Thai House (worthy of a blog post of its own, I might add), we saw the TNTers out on West street doing a boot block. They were standing on the curbs, collecting donations. I got a little choked up seeing them out there, remembering how the whole experience made me feel.

Two: My friend Deb is training with Team in Training RIGHT NOW. She's going to walk the Oklahoma City Half Marathon at the end of the month. She's 80 percent of the way to her fundraising goal. Adam and I have contributed a tiny bit (the best we could do on our lovely public servant salaries).

If you or someone you know has been affected by this disease (and too many of us know someone who has), you should go to Deb's fundrasing page and contribute some dough. You can find her here.

Let's help get her over the goal - so she can concentrate on the training in these final couple of weeks. Her marathon is April 27.

2 comments:

ksukim said...

you still around?.. I'm going to Cali and Dee's coming with me. We'll have to get together.

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who runs for a cause. She loves it! I was going to join in the fun before I injured my knee jogging, but you should do it! Very rewarding!

Related Posts with Thumbnails