Saturday, June 23, 2007

Grandma Sax

Mom called us this morning at 10:30 to let us know that Grandma passed away. Mom said it was peaceful, and we are pretty sure she wasn't suffering.

The other day, one of the doctors asked Mom to describe Grandma and Mom said "hell on wheels." That's pretty much the way she was, and she'd probably describe herself that way too. She always was out visitin' or running around, and she always took the grandkids on vacations when she needed to get out of town for a little road trip.

My parents' house has always been only about a mile from Grandma and Grandpa's. I wore out those roads when I was a kid, riding my bicycle over there to spend the afternoon looking through garage sale finds or jumping on the big, square yellow trampoline. I'd ride over there even when they weren't home to jump on that trampoline, because you never knew when she'd decide to sell it to the next person who had to have it.

She was the best kind of grandma a kid could have. She loved to make big dinners for all of us on Sundays, she dressed up like a clown, or like Santa Claus, she gave lottery tickets in our Easter Eggs (big winnings to be halved with her, of course).

I will miss her terribly, but I know that she is happy to be heading back home to Arkansas, and on up to be with my Grandpa and her sister.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss, Jill. We're glad to hear she passed away peacefully.

Eugene & Stacey

Anonymous said...

In your time of sadness, I'm glad to see you can remember all the happy times you had with your grandma. Sorry to hear about your loss, but you can take solace in knowing that she is at peace.

Dan

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your grandma, Jill. You have some great memories to cherish. (((Jill)))

Suzanne said...

So sorry to hear about your Grandma, Jill. She definitely sounded like a pistol!! Glad you have so many great memories of her. ((((hugs))))

Related Posts with Thumbnails