Saturday, June 16, 2007

Whistle while you work

Well, I've just spent the last three hours of my Saturday night cleaning house. Packed a few boxes, swept and mopped the hardwood floors, vacuumed the rugs. Normally, I'd be thinking about what a loser am I for doing that on a Saturday, but it's been a teeny bit therapeutic, I s'pose.

I called and begged off of going to Stacey's because I'm waiting for my Texas cousins to swing through here and pick me up. If all went according to plan (what the heck am I thinking - it never does) they would be showing up right about now. Alas, Ann just called and they are still 135 miles out, which means we won't get to KC until about 3 a.m. Sunday.

I should have gone to Stacey's for a bit, except then I would have had margaritas, and then I would have had to pee the whole freakin' way to Shawnee.

We're going to KC because my Grandma Sax isn't doing too hot. The doctors have FINally decided that she has cirrhosis of the liver. Let this be a lesson to all of my hard-drinking friends out there. My grandma is NOT a drinker, and her liver is betraying her. It really makes me wonder what the livers of those of us who do enjoy imbibing every once in a while look like. Her kidneys are failing, she's on a catheter, they're giving her oxygen to help her respiration.

It's a little weird. My trip up there tonight sounds like the premise for some indie-flick. Me, my cousin John, my cousin Ann and her friend Keri, all crammed into a Honda Civic for a three-hour drive, only because our grandma is very sick. I can hear the acoustic soundtrack now. It's very much the plot of a learning-a-lot-about-oneself-and-one's-family drama. I can't remember the last time I saw John.

Adam has to work tonight (he's at Mort's now), and he has to work on Monday and Wednesday. He's going to drive up on Wednesday evening, bringing a load of our stuff with him, and then I'll drive back with him whenever. I'm glad that Ann is picking me up, then we won't have to deal with driving too cars and increasing our carbon footprint...plus, we'll save some dough.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails