Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I love it when Tuesday is not a school night

Watch out, world - teachers all over the country are letting their hair down for a few days.

Last night I went out with the goils. Adam works with all these ladies, so I got invited to their GNO. We had dinner and wine (so. much. wine.) at Spin. It's a pizza place similar to Il Vicino, for the Wichitans on here. It's kind of funny, though, because it's in a strip mall in Leawood (119th and Metcalf, behind Cheesecake Factory) but they've totally done the fixtures like it's in some reborn industrial cavern, with exposed cinder block walls and exposed duct work on the ceiling. Ooh, pretty darn edgy for Overland Park-Leawoodites. I guess you can be urban without going to "the city."

It was really nice to have a social group of women to hang out with. Seems like Adam and I are still trying to get our social lives moving up here.

Mitzi, Betsy and Amy. There was a whole LOT of photo-taking involved in the evening.

Looking at photos that were already taken.

Betsy's comment card on the wines she tasted. You'll notice, her first wine says "Free Wine." The restaurant manager had a little thing for Miss Betsy. She was the first to arrive, so while she was waiting on us, he bought her a drink. Then, throughout the evening, he proceeded to "help" the server work our table. Miraculously, ManagerMan always worked the table from Betsy's end. He was mighty touchy feely about the whole deal, as well. I used a simple 1-10 rating system for my card, Betsy was definitely more creative. By the end of the evening, we were trying to figure out how to spell "woot! woot!" (you have to say it out loud to yourself).

Yum, wine through a (I mean, four) straws.

A few of the wines we tried. My favorite was a Riesling by Polka Dot. It came in a tall, thin, bright blue bottle.

Everyone except me works at the elementary school with Adam. Their school stories are pretty damn funny. I don't know how they do it everyday.

We shut Spin down. They had the whole place closed and cleaned around us, but ManMan let us stay two extra hours because he was doing inventory. So, I guess you could say we did benefit from his little crush on Betsy.

I had a great time. It's a little nerve-wracking going out with people you don't know for the first time, but by the end of the night, I was feeling pretty comfy with everyone. They're all super nice and friendly, and I'm sure the copious amounts of wine tasted helped, too.

3 comments:

Bets said...

Jill!
Adam gave us the link to your blog and after all your professional photo taking last night, I hoped you would post about our night!
I too had a blast ... maybe too much fun! I'm still s-l-o-w-l-y moving around and have yet to eat today. Thanks for the pictures of me being a lush and THANKS for not mentioning my fall at SPIN!
Can't wait to do it again! :) Welcome to the GNO group (Girls Night Out)!

Amy D. said...

Gasp...another Amy?

Kathryn said...

glad you had a great time. Jeff too had a great day off! Happy Thanksgiving!

Related Posts with Thumbnails