Thursday, November 29, 2007

Pep Pep Peppy - but pass the Pepto Bismol

At least, that's what my tummy was saying just before I had to walk out with the yearbook and newspaper kids during the Winter Sports and Activities pep assembly today.

Seriously - it takes a lot to make me nervous. I'm normally a pretty confident person. I can stand up in front of a room full of teenagers and try to impart knowledge in an entertaining way. I can stand in front of a workshop audience of 50-100 people and talk high school journalism. But, my heart was racing and my stomach was in knots when that music started playing today.

One of the senior StuCo members chose songs for each of the activities that sort of went along with what they do - ours was "Paperback Writer" by the Beatles. It was pretty cute. I only had to do a quick 1-2 minute spiel, so basically I mentioned the senior editors, and congratulated the yearbook staff for being ahead on their current deadline and the newspaper staff for working on their current issue. My opening line was something like: "Here are some of the hardest working students at BVHS, you just might not see them altogether outside the classroom working as a team...blah blah blah."

1,500 sets of eyes it a little overwhelming. Granted, I'm sure that half of those people were either a.) talking to the kid next to them, or b.) texting a kid across the gym from them.

It's a bad time for us to do an announcement like that because our competition season is the spring. Regionals in February, State (hopefully) in May. Most of the other activities have been to competitions and performances, stuff like that. Oh well, all the kids said I sounded good, and they said they couldn't tell I was nervous. My voice wasn't shaky or anything, they said.

Anywho, it's bedtime. As you know, I was up late last night, and I didn't get home from school tonight until 8. Just enough time to watch the Office, Earl, and check the blog.

Nighty night.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails