Sunday, December 23, 2007

"The Holiday" - official dishcloth knitting movie

I love the movie "The Holiday." Amy and I saw it in the theater, then we watched it again while she was here on Thanksgiving break. Yesterday, I even got Adam to watch it with me. Even though it's a romantic comedy, he actually liked it. (He'll probably kill me for saying that for all the world to see).

When Amy and I watched it, I worked on a dishcloth. Didn't get it done, because the stitch pattern was pretty involved. Yesterday, though, I started and finished a dishcloth in the exact time it took to watch the movie.



The movie inspires me to knit up a storm, because while Cameron Diaz's character spend the holidays in frosty Surrey, England, she wears the greatest knit items. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've written about those items before on this very blog. I'll have to go back and look. Sweaters, hats, scarves - you name it.

Here's the trailer, in case you haven't seen it.




Then, last night, it was Santa's workshop in here. Dragged out ALL of the scrapbook stuff for a couple of projects I need to finish by Christmas day. I'm only posting one photo, because they're SURPRISES, but I know Jayne won't be looking at the blog, so here's hers:




In the morning yesterday, I had my first dose of holiday stress. I don't usually get too stressed out about holidays. I'm not at work, I'm not on deadline - there's no reason to be wigged out. But, God, all I wanted to do yesterday was mail a couple of packages, buy some stamps and copy our New Year's letters. Is that too much to ask?

Apparently, yes.

We're in a weird vortex of not being close to any post offices, so I went to Hy-Vee (where there's a helpful smile on every aisle - except the customer service desk) to mail packages.

"Our scale is broken. You'll have to go the Hy-Vee on ...."

Didn't hear anything past that. AND, in my frustration, I got flustered and forgot that I had to buy stamps, so I walked out empty handed.

Found a UPS store, mailed boxes. Sorry folks, they're not getting to you until most likely Friday. Lame, I know. That's what you get for having a procrastinator in the family.

Saw sign at UPS store: COLOR COPIES SALE! 35 cents!

Thought to myself: "Self, 35 cents is going to add up to quite a bit if I'm making a bunch of copies. There's a FedEx/Kinko's across the street. Maybe they'll be cheaper."

Go across street.

See sign: COLOR COPIES SALE! 45 CENTS!

Think to myself: "Dammit."

All of this is happening, mind you, during the great sleet storm, preceding the great snow storm of 2007. Not the best time to be out running errands.

Get frustrated. Decide to go home and change letter to black and white only, thereby increasing the lateness of said letter. Do remember, though, to stop back at Hy-Vee (still not overly helpful) and buy stamps.

THANK GOD when I see that I do actually have cash in my pocket, after I see sign that says "Cash only for Postal Transactions." I NEVER carry cash, so at least one thing went right on that whole trip.

At least that's all over now. Still haven't gotten those letters taken care of, but I've got almost two whole weeks before I have to be back at school, so I'll do it then, I guess.

Off to do more Santa's workshopping.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Sorry you had such a bad day. I hate when nothing goes right when I'm trying to shop.

Related Posts with Thumbnails