Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Mitchell Report: Truth, Justice, and the American Way?

Well, today's Mitchell report detailing rampant substance abuse in Major League Baseball is just one more reason it's hard to try to tell high school students why they should do the "right" thing. Why should I beat the drum for doing your best, working hard because of intrinsic motivation, doing your own work, when it seems more and more we hear about "heroes" making horrible decisions?

It's already hard enough working with some kids. They've grown up being rewarded for things most people just do: show up on time, do your work, behave in a civilized manner. It's not enough to have the satisfaction of a job well done - they want candy (even Adam's elementary kids are already this way), gift cards, accolades. Last time I checked, the principal doesn't come down and pat me on the back every day just for showing up to work. It's expected, so I do it.

Baseball players being exposed as frauds just reinforces a perception that you have to lie and cheat to be the best. Now, it's hard to know what the "best" is.

The MLBPA executive director has been quoted in published reports today saying "In retrospect, maybe we should have done something sooner." That's pretty much the understatement of the year. According to the Mitchell report, every club had at least one player fingered in the investigation. Every club.

What is the American Way these days? It's certainly doesn't seem to be truth and justice in a lot of cases. It's more like "Oh crap - what did I do and how can I spin it?"

I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be for the guys who actually have God-given talent, and have chosen not to use. Seemingly, you'd be at a disadvantage no matter how hard you trained, if you're constantly competing against roided out apes.

The reports only been officially released for a few hours now, and already the denials and "No comments" are flying. I hope all the sports reporters are safe tonight.

I imagine it might be a little intimidating knocking on the door of some of these guys. I'd be a little worried about roid rage - "I SAID NO COMMENT YOU LITTLE BLANKETY-BLANK! I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!"

It could happen. They're probably pissed off about their tiny little thingies, as well. Steroids don't exactly enhance ALL kinds of performance.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Interesting observations, Jill. I know you will always give me something to think about when I read your blog. But I hope you won't become too cynical. You know as well as I do that that's the downfall of many a good teacher. Hang in there.

Chris said...

It's not just baseball, either. Marion Jones was recently stripped of her Olympic medals because she admitted to taking performance-enhancing drugs. It puts a question mark in my mind of every athlete who does well. And that's going to be hard to overcome.

chitknit said...

I don't think I'm as frustrated with the kids as I came off sounding in that post - more with how our society seems to value the wrong things. My J1 classes had a very interesting discussion after their current events quiz Friday morning. One question was about waterboarding, one was about Paul Morrison, one was about the Mitchell report. One of the kids said: "This quiz is like a sign of the end of days!" A little dramatic, but at least a lot of them are "getting" it that they should be aware of what's happening in the world.

Related Posts with Thumbnails