Saturday, December 22, 2007

Oops, that family did it again

I know I'm a couple days late on this one, but I can't believe no one else in our circle o' bloggers has crowed about this. C'mon, you pop culture people!

Maybe it's because I teach high school, but the last two days, the saga of Jamie Lynn Spears has provided much-needed laughter and levity for a bunch of stressed out kids.

Thankfully, the reaction of most of the students has been utter disbelief, and general annoyance.

"Who has a live-in boyfriend at 16?!"
"Did you hear her mom's writing a parenting book?"

God, I'd love to get my hands on a copy of the manuscript that is now "on hold," most likely permanently. What I'd like to know is: WHO THE HELL thought that Lynne Spears is a likely candidate for great parenting advice? And what planet has that person been on for the last, oh, 18 months or so?

I'm sure her advice on how to get your daughters into showbiz is valuable, because obviously she's done that, and I'm sure is reaping all the benefits.

I'm not condemning Britney's sister for getting pregnant at that age - she's not the only one, and I know there are moms out there who were young, and did a great job of raising their kids. But, she's on a NICKELODEON TV show, for God's sake. You've heard me say this before: that makes here a role model, whether she likes it or not. When you're in that position, you have to make good choices. I'm sure the brass at Nickelodeon was oh-so-happy about this news.

I'm so glad I don't have a kid that I'd have to explain all this too.

Hopefully, Jamie Lynn has been storing up all the whacked-out crap her sister has been doing with her kids, and already has a pretty good idea of what not to do.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I just hadn't gotten to posting about this yet...thanks for taking care of it. I couldn't have said it better. And I couldn't agree with your comments any more.

Bets said...

I thought you would like to know that last night at the cookie decorating party I went to ... I won the "People's Choice" Award with my version of the OK Magazine cover announcing the pregnancy, complete with my version of JL Spears and a baby bump!
If I ever get a blog started, I'll be sure and post pictures! They're priceless!

chitknit said...

PLEASE! E-mail me the pics - I'd love to post one here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails