Monday, January 7, 2008

In your dreams

Ever since I was in elementary school I could never sleep on the night before school started. Was it excitement? Nerves? Anticipation? I'm not sure.

Even last night, I couldn't sleep well. It's not like it's the first day of a new school year. We've only been out for a couple of weeks. I didn't fall asleep right away, and then when I finally did, it was fitful. I got up once to use the bathroom, and I remember looking at the clock sometime around 3:30 or so. Must have fallen back asleep.

At 5:18, I looked at the clock. I thought to myself - I'm getting up in 30 minutes anyway - should I just get up? The decision took so long I must have fallen back asleep.

I dreamed that we were at my Grandma's house. I can't remember what was happening, but I remember a bunch of non-sequitur people being there. Then, I went from my Grandma's house to a school. There was some kind of assembly, and I was supposed to be supervising, I think. (Details are sketchy at this point) All I really remember of the school portion of the dream is that I was hurrying around, going from one gym to another, and at one point, I had to climb down the bleachers, and I scaled section to section, like a superhero. It was very weird.

After that, I heard a LOUD buzzer once in my dream. Then I heard it three times in the dark of my bedroom. Keep in mind that all of that happened in the span of 25-30 minutes. When I woke up, I felt like I had been asleep for hours. I stumbled around, turning on the coffee pot, and starting the shower. I was rollin' slow.

THEN, it was time to be ON for the enrollment fair. This was a really long day at school. But, I survived, my desk is still as clean as it was Friday (the kids noticed), and I got to knit for a little bit earlier tonight. I just finished a 2-miler. Short, yes, but I'm hoping that some consistent exercise will lessen some of the stress I've been under. I don't feel stressed out, but my neck and shoulders have been sore for about a month now. I think it's just muscle tightness from stress. Grr.

I really should have gone and gotten a massage over break.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

The weekend is only 4 days away...schedule a massage for Sat. am!

Lori said...

Take care of yourself, Jilly. Your stress just means that you care. That's a good thing, especially for your kids. I'm getting a massage this weekend so I strongly encourage you to do so, too!

Anonymous said...

My wife calls not being able to get to sleep being "journey proud."

She says lots of strange things but this is the only one that fits here.

Good luck with your 'yarning.'

Related Posts with Thumbnails