Sunday, January 20, 2008

On the town - this post dedicated to the memory of Spike Sparkelli

Even though the thermometer read a chilly 5 degrees last night, it was a hot time in the old town.

We started with dinner at El Patron, a cool little Mexican place on Southwest Boulevard (pretty much where you want to be for the best authentic Mexican food in Kansas City). It was more like a bar than a restaurant - bar right inside the door, long and skinny room, booths lining the wall. Freshly cooked tortilla chips started us off, along with a mild salsa and a delicious hot version. I went for the Tres Enchiladas Rojas de Queso. The sauce was good, but I think next time I'd ask for no onions.

Bets said the place is known for its fish tacos and margaritas. I can attest to the margs - pretty darn potent.

Following dinner, we headed over to the Levee, for the official Adam-Mitzi Belated Birthday Extravaganza. Unfortunately for me, the stinkin' KU game was on, so there were about a million people dressed in crimson and blue in attendance. Luckily, as soon as the game was over, most of the crimson and blue crowd vacated the premises.

We had a reserved spot on what is basically an enclosed patio - so, it was about 10 degrees when we first arrived, but as the crowd grew, the temp went up. Thankfully.

Downstairs, a band kept the joint hoppin'.


Take two.


By the way, for anyone who might be appalled at the content of this next photo, it was completely staged. Ethics schmethics.

Manal bought the birthday boy a shot.

It was so much fun to see everyone and just be able to hang out for a few hours. We've finally found our niche up here, and it's great to have the friends we've made. I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to get to know in our new city.

Betsy and Mitzi are right up my crafty alley. And, we can just be dorks when poor Adam has to hang out with all the girls. (We're still in the market for boy space friends for him.) We're so lucky that Adam gets to work with such cool chicas. Manal, who I work with, is always a bright spot in my day when I see her. Such a positive, friendly attitude - she makes me want to be a better person (sometimes, as many of you know, I can be a little negative). I'm working on that.

I remember, when I was talking to my friend Carrie (of the Wichita Rengers-Stumpes) about moving up here, I told the biggest reason I didn't want to move was because I had been in Doodah so long that my tribe was there. All my friends. I didn't want to have to completely start over. That's so hard when you're this age. She told me something that I now see is totally true. She had moved to Doodah from Little Rock a few years back. She said - You'll see that your circle of friends will just expand. You won't lose your old friends, you'll just have more. So, now I see, we've just added to the tribe, not necessarily lost it.

•••

When we hiked back to the car last night, the car thermometer said 11. Brrrr doggies. We had to park extra far away because the parking lot was so icy and steep that I couldn't get the Vibe to go all the way up. I guess the clearing crews aren't as thorough in KCMO as they are here in JoCo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who is the lush drinking beer straight from the pitcher!?!? Who does that?

Related Posts with Thumbnails