Friday, January 4, 2008

Jillo...Jillarino....Jillaramdingdong...

I know, I know. I've been back at work for two days, yes. But inservice days and teacher work days aren't really being back "at work."

Don't get me wrong - I worked A TON today - makin' copies. And copies. And copies. Everyone else was doing it too. I think I walked back and forth between my room and the teacher workroom about 100 times between 7:30 and 9 a.m. Luckily, I'm pretty close. It wasn't that I had a 100 things to copy - I just had to find an opening. We have two machines in the workroom, but one wasn't working until after lunch time.

Basically what I needed was one of those Fast Passes like you can get at theme parks to let you know exactly what your time to use the machine is.

I finally gave up, went to item number 2 on my list, and resigned myself to making copies while everyone else was at lunch. I shouldn't complain, though. At least they LET us make our own copies. At dear old DHS, you had to send everything to central office, and wait a week for it's return. I can't lie - that doesn't work for me because I just don't plan that far ahead.

I had to get yearbook and newspaper applications copied because we're having an enrollment fair on Monday. Students will be choosing four electives and four core classes to visit so that they'll have some idea of what's to come when they begin enrollment in a few weeks. It's a great idea - I think it will open kids' eyes to the available classes (especially important for us elective teachers). But, I think it'll be brutal - I've got to give the same 10-minute dog and pony show four times and hour for three hours. I hope by the end I still sound as excited about it as I am during the first session. I started a Powerpoint today - I've got to finish that this weekend.

So, worked on that stuff, and then spent the better part of the day cleaning up my desk, organizing one of the counter tops, etc. General housekeeping that I should be doing weekly, but that's the first thing that gets shoved aside in the general malaise of teaching and publications advising. I'm just not OCD enough to make sure my desk is cleared before I go home every day. (This will come as no surprise to anyone who has lived with me - college roommates, parents, Adam).

However, after today, I think I should be that OCD. I refuse to call it a New Year's resolution, but I would like to set a goal that I get it done every day. A bad blogger, I did not have my camera at school today, so I didn't shoot a photo of the desk. Maybe I will on Monday morning, so you can see my handiwork.

I had a good couple of days at work - got a lot of MY stuff done, which is the first thing that goes aside when the little puppies and kittens are needing attention...

I'm ready to go back Monday - I think I'm starting to miss the kiddoes.

•••

In Etsy news, I have updated my profile and I'm now accepting PayPal. (Capitalizing on the impulse buyers among us...)

4 comments:

Mike Shepherd said...

"(This will come as no surprise to anyone who has lived with me - college roommates, parents, Adam)."

Or anyone who's ever subbed in your classroom. ;)

chitknit said...

Ha ha.

You wouldn't believe how clean it is.

Bets said...

I only got housekeeping things done this morning. Still have grade cards to do, new nametags to tape on desks, copies to make and lessons to write. Ugh!

Pretty sure I can beat you for messiest desk. I found papers on it to grade from LAST YEAR'S STUDENTS today. Never a good thing!

Nicki said...

Yay! Paypal!

Related Posts with Thumbnails