Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Where have all the cowgirls gone?

The Wichita blogging contingent has been quite quiet lately. Makes me wonder - what am I missing out on down there that's keeping y'all so busy?

Wait, UPDATE: After a quick scan of Wichiblogs, I think I might have realized what's going on. Heaters are breaking, hot water heaters are breaking - maybe your fingers are all frozen?

•••

The last big buzz was the Olan Mills photo challenge. Didn't go to mom's last weekend because we were waiting until payday to put gas in the car. If I make it there this weekend, I'll add some pics to the bunch, hopefully. I don't think mine will be as fun, though, because I was born JUST late enough in the 70s (1977) that I missed out on some of the major fashion trends. Plus, I've only worn glasses (just for reading) for the last two years, so I don't have any sweet plastic frame with darkening lenses photos.

Yeah, so about that whole waiting until payday to get gas? When is my salary going to raise in proportion to the price of gas? Consistently hovering around $3 a gallon, gas is starting really starting to take a much bigger chunk out of the monthly budget. Thankfully, Adam's school is only 2.2 miles from home, so he only has to fill up every six weeks. I usually have to do it twice a month, depending on how many times we go to Mom and Dad's. But, the big trip to Doodah over break was obviously the budget buster this month.

I have to say, though, we really are pretty lucky. I'm only six miles from work, our grocery store is right across the street from our apartment complex. Our Cheers (little baby Johnny's) is also right across the street. We really don't HAVE to do too much driving, and honestly, we don't do a lot of recreational driving.

How in the hell do people who commute 30 minutes to an hour (or more) one way every day do it? And what the heck kind of jobs do they have that they actually do make more than they spend in gas money?

Grr.

•••

I should have went back and looked at this earlier, but I realized tonight that I have officially been at this blogging business for more than a year now. Jan. 3, 2007, was the date of my first ChittumFiles post. Some of you have been here since the beginning. Welcome to the newbies. I know Adam and I don't live the most glamorous and exciting of lives, but thanks to those of you who are reading. I've certainly enjoyed having the outlet. Before I started doing this, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed writing.

•••

Sock update: We have a three-day weekend this weekend. I'm hoping I can get sock number two done.

8 comments:

Bets said...

The words, "Jill has already blogged twice today and I can't think of anything to write about!" just came out of my mouth!

Jenny is trying to get me to write about the difference between boats and ships.

I think I'll wait around another hour or so to see what else comes to mind!

Linda said...

Jill, Linda J. from the Eagle here. Found your blog through other Eagle folks...really do enjoy it! And we spend a fortune on gas - I think we average about $300-$350/mo. in gas. I know the raises at the Eagle don't keep up with the increases in the gas prices, that's for sure!

chitknit said...

Bets - So what IS the difference between boats and ships?

Linda - Hey! That kind of money gives whole new meaning to the phrase "Gas Pains."

Bets said...

A ship needs to be able to pull a boat and a boat should be able to be pulled by a ship. I think it all comes down to size and the depth of water that they sail in.
I found plenty of interesting websites devoted to this question ... who knew!

Candice said...

My driving costs me insane amounts of money. I fill up almost every week! Between working and going to school at WSU, working at The Eagle and my boyfriend living on the west side it's a wonder I'm not in debt already.

Lori said...

As always, Jill, I enjoy reading your blog even tho i don't always post comments. I'm with Bets... I just don't have that much on my mind worth sharing! And congrats on the one-year anniversary!

Chris said...

I'm hibernating and blogging has become a casualty of that. I'll do better over the weekend, I promise.

Boats vs. ships? Oy vey!

Heather rules said...

I was born in 76, so we will just have to share the fashion of the 80's with everyone. God knows that could be worse than the 70's. I have a picture of myself in the late 80's, where my hair is completely outside of the box. Gotta love the big hair. My face looks like a dot, because the hair was so damn big.

Related Posts with Thumbnails