Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Slate for '08

Happy New Year, everybody!

I've been somewhat noncommunicative the last few days because I've been on the road, actually conversing face to face with people I now seem to stay in contact with only by blogiverse.

As far as New Year's Days go, this one has been pretty good - woke up clearheaded (only one sidecar and one tiramisu martini at N&Ds - more on that later).

I met Stacey and Kat at the Central Y to run the annual Frosty 5k. One thing's for sure - it was definitely FROSTY. Judging by all the race shirts I have, I've run this one four times. Usually the races are frosty in name only, but today was definitely chilly dilly. My car said it was 26 degrees, and I don't think that factored in the wind chill.

We ran along the river, and you would be amazed at the ice in the river. The north wind skimmed the ice and cut right through my sweatpants and the three layers of shirts I wore. Running north along the river, we went directly into the wind. My handknit cap, while warm, is not a great windstopper - especially when I've been sweating.

Brrrr.

It was great to see all of the people who came out and ran the race. That's one thing about Wichita - huge, active running community.

My story of the Frosty just would't be complete without mention of a frequent subject of this blog's postings about the Y - good ol' Sweaty McSweaterson. Thankfully, he wasn't running the race, slinging his sweat bombs all over other racers. He was volunteering - passing out chili and cocoa post-race.

I ran the race in 34 minutes and 9 seconds. Not my fastest 5K time, but considering I haven't really exercised the last three weeks, and it was cold as ice, I am happy with that time. I guess I'll use it as a baseline for the running I'd like to do this year. I suppose this is a good time to mention a new feature I'm adding to the blog - I'll be posting my distances to see how far my legs will take me this year. It'll be a running total.

You guys can keep me honest - if you read for a few days and see that it's not moving up, you can bust my chops about getting off my chops. Stacey's thinking about doing the Oklahoma City half marathon with me April 28. Anybody else interested? Maybe we could get a group together.

•••

Post-race, Amy and I hung out at Twist Yarn Shop and knitted for a while. Amy gave me a sweet project bag and a gift card to the shop. I bought a new hank of sock yarn. Once I get home and get it wound, I'll post some photos. The shop was buzzing today - lots of people taking advantage of all the knitting time a national holiday gives you.


I'm getting really close on my first sock. I'm working on the foot portion now, I just have to figure out how long to make it before I start working the toe. I'll post photos tomorrow when I get back to O.P. Aunt Alice will be happy to know that her bag, complete with floofy schmooper eyelash yarn, is almost complete. That's what I worked on while we were at Twist. All I've got to do tomorrow is get the i-cord handles knitted. I could have done it today, but didn't bring enough wool with me.

I know - I call myself a knitter?

•••

I had dinner tonight with my DHS K-Hall posse. Roger, Bill and Bunny, Todd and G all met at Applebee's. It was just like the good ol' days when we ate lunch in the K-Hall workroom. Such good friends. Bill had a great Santa beard and mustache going on.

This has been a crazy couple of days - making the rounds, seeing all the friends. It's very strange to be back here. I had lived in the same city for so long before we moved that I almost feel like coming to Wichita is coming "home."

Not a bad way to start the year - my two favorite pastimes and good company.

•••

Tonight's post made possible by Amy D.'s wireless and laptop...Gotta hit the turnpike for KC early tomorrow and get mentally prepared for the return to work.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Have a safe trip home. It was great to see you!

Candice said...

Awww no Derby kids lunch? I was in KC over the weekend and didn't even THINK about calling you until we were 20 minutes outside of town on our way home. I felt really dumb!

chitknit said...

Since we ended up not being there as long as originally expected, no Derby kids lunch. However, I will be in town for a couple of weekends in Feb. So we'll have to pencil something in then.

Related Posts with Thumbnails