Sunday, February 24, 2008

Cisco's Green Bus: Reason #472 Why I wish I lived in San Francisco

Cisco has unveiled a "connected bus" that will become a part of San Francisco's Muni public transportation system. It's a hybrid, running on battery power, and it houses routers and all kinds of computer equipment that will give its riders "close to DSL speeds" on their laptops while on the bus.

I read about it here.

SF's mayor says he thinks it will encourage more people to ride the bus, because they will have so many options of what to do while riding the bus. They can download music, get work done, etc. I would be torn here - do I use the laptop or do I knit on my commute? The knitter's dilemma.

BUT, how nice it is to see a government official finding ways to encourage citizens to use pubic transportation. It's amazing what you can do when people actually work to find solutions and creatively problem solve, instead of just saying "People won't do it. We don't need that. It'll never happen." (Feel free to insert other Wichitan poo-pooing ideas saying right here.)

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

yea, Wichita may have 300,000 people living here, but it's still has that small town feeling (ie, we don't want to change).

btw...my insert is "recycling boxes" :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails