Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Knitting - Before and After

It's been entirely too long since I've published any photos of recent knitting projects. That probably means it's been entirely too long since I've actually had a finished object (that's FO, for the uninitiated).

Here's what I finished tonight. FO, yes, but I suppose since it's supposed to be one of a pair, it's only half of a finished object. Would the pair be the finished object? Ah, the sock and glove and armwarmer knitter's conundrum.

This will be armwarmers for my sister, Jayne, since her coat is made to fit over her and her wheelchair. It doesn't have arms like our coats do, it's more like a poncho. She can wear these armwarmers over her shirtsleeves for an extra layer of warmth on bitterly cold days (of which we seem to be having WAY too many lately).

Don't be alarmed, Mom, it only looks like it stops below the elbows because my arm is so much longer than hers. It's actually knit to spec for Jayne's arm, and I sorta made up the pattern as I went. Technically, it's the first thing I "designed." Didn't take much - Cast on, knit 20 rows ribbing, knit a whole lotta stockinette, with a little decreasing thrown in down the forearm, then a little more ribbing at the bottom. I was going to do equal lengths of ribbing, but I wanted it to be obvious which end was the hand end.

I also only wore it for a minute - just long enough to shoot the photo - because my arm is so much heavier than hers I didn't want to stretch it out. The ball of yarn in my hand is what I'll use to knit its mate.

I have decided I really like self-patterning yarn. It's truly a surprise to see how it knits up.

•••

We had late night for yearbook tonight. Got home about 7 p.m. Tuned into "Biggest Loser" and finished that armwarmer. I've got it paused right now - they're fixin' to do the weigh in. I wonder what will happen?

I think I'll settle in, cast on for armwarmer number two, and find out.

1 comment:

aday said...

THAT IS SOO VERY COOL!! on two levels 1. you designed it all your own and 2. because its for someone you love. Seriously Rocks!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails