Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"God is testing us. HE'S TESTING US!"


So, did y'all know that one of the GREATEST movies of all time has been made into a stage musical? You probably did, but I'm going to tell you again anyway.

BV High is putting on "Footloose" this weekend as the big musical for the year. The cast and crew performed half-hour teasers for classes today, and I took the yearbook staff to one. And, even though I've probably seen that movie oh, about a million times, I actually learned a few lyrics today.

Or, I guess I should say, I learned that I've been singing some of the lyrics all wrong since 1984.

For example:
Been working so hard
Keep punching my card

Okay, I always got that right. But here's where the problem starts:

Eight hours, for what? <----------- I never knew that was that line. I always just went: "AY yeah, oh wahhh"

Oh, tell me what I got <----------- Always thought that ended with "what a guy"

I get this feeling
That time's just holding me down
I'll hit the ceiling
Or else I'll tear up this town
Tonight I gotta cut
(Chorus)
Loose, footloose
Kick off your Sunday shoes
Please, Louise
Pull me offa my knees
Jack, get back
C'mon before we crack
Lose your blues
Everybody cut footloose
You're playing so cool
Obeying every rule
Dig way down in your heart <----------- Never knew that one either. I always thought it was something like "Did the way down lead to your heart" (Yes, I know, it makes no sense my way)

You're yearning, burning for some
Somebody to tell you
That life ain't passing you by
I'm trying to tell you
It will if you don't even try <-------------- me: It will it will go little tiIIIIme (again, no sense, I know)

You can fly if you'd only cut
(Chorus)
Loose, footloose
Kick off your Sunday shoes
Oowhee, Marie
Shake it, shake it for me
Whoa, Milo <------------------- wha? Always thought My Lord
C'mon, c'mon let go
Lose your blues
Everybody cut footloose
FIRST - we got to turn you around
SECOND - You put your feet on the ground
THIRD - Now take a hold of your soul
FOUR - Whooooooooa, I'm turning it
Loose, FOOTLOOSE
(Chorus)

Good ol' Kenny Loggins just doesn't enunciate like the choir kids do. I could understand them MUCH better this afternoon. We got to see them sing the big opening number "Footloose" and "Let's Hear It For the Boy" complete with awkward Willard-learning-how-to-dance scenes. AND, the girls even sang "Holding Out for a Hero" except there was no game of tractor-chicken.

You can't beat early Kevin Bacon. To this day, I still LOATHE John Lithgow, no matter what character he plays, and I know it stems from his portrayal of Rev. Shaw Moore. And, a little lady named Sarah Jessica Parker - post "Square Pegs" pre "Sex and The City."

I think I'm going to see if the library has a copy of Footloose to check out for the long weekend. Maybe that's where my tendency to fall for the rebellious bad guys sprang from. I still heart Ren McCormack and I probably always will. In fourth grade, I was soooooo jealous of Livvy, who wore a baseball style shirt (white with lavender sleeves) with a picture of Kevin Bacon on the front. I wanted that shirt so badly.

The soundtrack still ranks among my favorite CDs. Anybody else out there Dancin' Disciples?

7 comments:

Nicki said...

You gotta love Footloose, it's great! I love the town hall scene! Classic cinema!

Linda said...

One of my favorite "musical" movies of all time!

Amy D. said...

Totally! And though I had a few more of these lyrics right than you, I've been making a few of the same mistakes as for decades. Like "what a guy."

Dan said...

Dude, I've had those lyrics memorized since high school. Yeah, I was in high school and you in the fourth grade. Whatever.

Anyway, one of the best movies EVER!

Heather rules said...

This post had me cracking up.
I always thought it was "Eight hours, forward." hehe
BTW - Who the hell is Milo??? I always thought it was My Lord too.
And yes, I heart this movie and it's soundtrack.

Chris said...

One of my nephews is a music theatre major and his voice coach tells him, "If the people can't understand the words, then what is the point?" So, apparently the BV theatre teacher is on board with that, but the pop singers not so much.

Denise said...

Ranks right up there with "Dirty Dancing." But Jilly, I saw the stage performance when Music Theatre of Wichita did it, and, well, it just couldn't even come close to doing the movie justice. Jaime liked it, but it just made me mad.

Related Posts with Thumbnails