Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super (Long) Tuesday

We joined 1,250 people at JuCo tonight for the Kansas Democratic Caucus. Four years ago, 37 people gathered for the same event, according to the night's organizer.

Barack took it, with 886 people, to Hillary's 332. I'm glad that we participated, though next time I will bring more than just knitting to keep me busy. I could have worked on my laptop while we sat there for three hours.

The turnout was quite astonishing. I saw two of my students (and I was very proud), and I saw a gaggle of students I recognized as BV kids, but I don't have them in class.

At one point, organizers asked all who were first-time voters or voters under the age of 26 to stand. They were a large part of the crowd. In addition, those who were formerly registered Republicans or Independents stood as well, and there were a bunch of them.

Some days I really miss working at the Big Bird. Tonight, not one of those times. I see on Maria's blog that the Birdies weren't allowed to caucus. Ethically, I understand why, and I see the logic. But I don't think it's fair that just because of their jobs, they can't participate in the democratic process.

I did get a lot of work done on my charity scarf - at least 8 inches of it knit.

It's a school night, gotta go to bed (in case it's NOT a snow day...).

4 comments:

Chris said...

The way I understood it, it was just the newsroom birds who couldn't participate. I went and I'm glad I did.

Anonymous said...

Have you registered to vote in JOCO?

chitknit said...

We had to so that we could participate. We registered when we first moved, but both of us were "undeclared" so we had to re-register last night as Dems so that we could caucus.

Maria said...

I understand the reasoning behind asking journalists not to publicly caucus. Can you imagine going and seeing Susan Peters in line for Hillary and then watching her report on the race?

It's a shame the newsroom people couldn't join in the wave of democracy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails