Wednesday, February 6, 2008

News from the Snow Front

Everyone loves a day off work, but seriously, EVERY ONE of the three snow days we've had so far this year have been right smack in the middle of newspaper production week, and this one is on yearbook deadline week as well.

JOURNALISM GODS! What have I done to you? All I've ever done is try to train the next generation of your disciples!

•••

I woke up at 5:45, checked the district website, saw that we were out of school, and crawled back in bed. Got up about 8:30. I got to try out my new favorite kitchen apparatus:

It's a giant, egg-shaped microwave hard-boiled egg maker. I love hard-boiled eggs, and they're great for breakfast because they're packed with protein, but I NEVER make them because it takes too damn long. This little baby (uh, big baby, I guess) cooks them up in the microwave in 10 minutes.

All I had to do was fill it with water, put in the eggs, set the nukerwave for 10 minutes and let 'er rip. Once I took them out, I put them in ice water for a few minutes so that they could cool. When it came time to crack them, I was a little nervous. Would they be perfectly hard-boiled?

They were. I was nervous putting them in the microwave because there is aluminum on the inside. Horrible memories of the single-serving CheezWhiz fire incident were jumping through my head. I'm no expert on how microwaves work, but I guess since the metal is all enclosed in the plastic, it's not a fire hazard.

That egg cooker just might be the best $8 I ever spent.

•••

Charity scarf progress report: Here's what it looked like at the beginning of caucus.


Here's what it looks like now:

This scarf could be yours. All you have to do is donate to Relay For Life. You can do so online here. Anyone who has donated will be eligible for the drawing, which was originaly scheduled to take place on Feb. 22. All donations must be made by Feb. 10, so I'll draw the winner on Feb. 11, so you can get your scarf while it's still cold enough to wear it!

•••

Time to try and get some stuff accomplished!

5 comments:

Bets said...

The scarf is looking great!

Country Girl said...

Where does one buy the magic egg?

ksukim said...

Here in Salina we go to school unless there's an ice storm and there's no power. I hope you enjoyed your day.

Kathryn said...

Yeah! I see you ran today. Good girl!

Mike McLean said...

Jill,

Call or e-mail me re: Dallas Workshop your cell is not working or maybe I have an old number.

Mike

Related Posts with Thumbnails