Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Blog jinx similar to SI curse?

Uh oh. I hope my writing about the girls basketball team last night didn't cause the jinx. BV was seeded No. 2 going in, and Lawrence knocked them off this afternoon in Emporia.

One thing I love about our school is that when something big happens for kids, they make a big deal out of it. We had a send-off assembly today, just before the team boarded the bus for the tournament. All of the girls, coaches and managers were introduced, and they played a season highlights video on the big screen.

I think I've said before, but just so you don't forget - our mascot is the Tigers, so every time we do the pep thing, they play "Eye of The Tiger" about seven times. AND I FREAKIN' LOVE IT. I'm sorry, you can call that song total cheeseball all you want, I know it is. But when you actually are the Tigers, and you want to get pumped up, it's pretty darn perfect for that. Seriously, it gives me goosebumps.

The coach spoke, and the senior girls presented our principal with the 6A substate champions plaque. Then, as is BV tradition, everyone poured out of the stands, gathered on the court, formed a tunnel, and sent the team off. Basically, the team parted the crowd right down the middle, and those in the middle held up their hands, forming the arch of the tunnel. I've never seen anything like it. I guess they do it for all teams headed to state.

BUT, somehow I don't think a tunnel will be formed to send off the handful of kids we placed at our regional...

FINALLY got the results tonight - one first place (yearbook layout), one second place (theme development), one third place (infographics) and one HM (headlines). I was really surprised that we didn't have any photographers place - one of my kids had some nice swimming photos. Oh well.

Thank bejeesus for carry-ins, though, since nobody got to compete on site. At least this year wasn't a total loss.

Gotta go - I need to download my own version of "Eye of the Tiger" so I can play it tomorrow in Newspaper when we make the regionals announcement...Or, I could always dust off "The Final Countdown" from the Betty vs. Minnie video.

7 comments:

Bets said...

Congrats on your awards! I know how hard your kiddos (and you) worked for those! I say that you should take the day off to celebrate! :)

34th Stater said...

Congrats from a Blue Valley District resident. How do we attract your talent to one of our high schools?

When will 'Betty Fights Dirty' be loaded to YouTube? We have lots of people ready to bet on Round Two!

ksukim said...

Congrats on the qualifiers. We got three more in also. One photog, Chelsy didn't and she also had swim pics....interesting. I'm running in Lawrence Saturday morning. I'm just in it for the green beverage afterwards!

Heather rules said...

Congrats on your awards.

"Eye of the Tiger" ROCKS! Don't let anyone tell you any different.

Maria said...

In today's Wall Street Journal (Thursday) there is an article about Etsy. I will try to e-mail it to you from home.

ksukim said...

Chelsy did qualify in feature photgraphy. The labels were switched and I missed her!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your winnings. I am very proud of you. And, yes, I too love Eye of the Tiger.

Related Posts with Thumbnails