Sunday, March 16, 2008

"Only the Young" can stay up until 1:30 in the morning - Stone in Love at the RecordBar, Westport

As promised yesterday, yes, we did actually go out last night.

My throat is sore today, I'm a little hoarse - but it's not from being sick this time. We all met up with Doug and headed down to Westport to see Stone In Love, a Journey tribute band. Much singing along (well, screaming along is more accurate probably) ensued. Now, all of you who are looking down your noses at Journey - be careful before you cast stones. You know it's one of your guilty pleasures - and judging by the 300 or so people in the venue last night, you're not alone.

It's not a guilty pleasure for me - I love Journey. I've been listening to them for as long as I can remember, and every time I hear certain songs, I think of the movies that featured them on the soundtrack. Or, I think of skating in a million giant circles during the Snowball (yes, that's what they called the couples skate) back in the day.

Even Adam enjoyed the show, despite the fact that he doesn't like 80s rock. I might need to give my mom the title of social secretary, because she's the one who saw the little piece in the paper about the band, and called to tell me about it. A high school friend of mine plays drums, and Stone In Love is one of his projects. We probably wouldn't have known about the show if she hadn't called.

The crowd was a good mix of folks - when we first walked in, it was mostly older people, probably there because they were big Journey fans back in the day (like, when they were in high school), but as showtime got closer, the average age dropped a little bit. To get everybody in the mood, the DJs played LPs featuring some of the greatest early 80s rock - Boston, Bad Company, Bon Jovi, etc. (It was like my Pandora station!) The band took the stage rockin' some hair band wigs, and badass 'staches.

Bets has the photos, because I took my purse and coat out to the car and didn't bring the camera back in. We used hers. You'll have to check out her blog, and maybe she'll be nice and share some photos with me so I can post them here later.

•••

I've got to decide how productive I'm going to be today - what I can get on my list and actually get done. Mitzi and I are going to workout this afternoon, since I didn't do that at all last week. Hopefully since I took my week off sick and tired, I'll be energized to get some good miles in starting this week.

3 comments:

Heather rules said...

I HEART Journey and Stone in Love is one of my favorite songs! That would have been a fun show! I remember my sister having Steve Perry's posters ALL OVER her walls. She wanted to change her name to "Sherry." ;o)

Bets said...

Just got home and, yes, I'll be nice and share my photos. :)
Thanks for the wonderful recap ... I'm still hurting from last night and I'm on my way back to bed! Thanks, Stone in Love! ;)

Anonymous said...

My days going out ended last year! There's a day for all of us when we just say...and I never thought it would seem to come so soon..."I'm just too old for this!" hahah. I still love a good time, but no more heavy drinking and I seem to get tired early these days. :O) I love journey too, so you are not alone!

Related Posts with Thumbnails