Sunday, March 30, 2008

What a bunch of squares!

The first party Saturday morning was a shower for Baby DeVault number two. (Ma and pa haven't decided on a name yet, so we'll just call him Baby for now.) Denise agreed to host the party at her place since I live three hours from everyone who would be in attendance, including the guest of honor.

It was a great bunch of folks - mostly with Eagle connections, and a few "other" friends of Amy's. Amy and I aren't really the types to be into cheesy shower games (not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just not our style), and, Amy didn't want everyone to just have to watch while she opened presents, so we gave our guests a little assignment in the process.

Awhile back when I was reading "Mason-Dixon Knitting" (a great book), I got this idea for a knitting baby shower.

While Amy opened presents, the more experienced knitters in the group got a start on their squares. Then, I tried my best to help those who weren't knitters work on a square as well. Amy picked out five colors of yarn, and once we get 56 squares knit, I'll sew them together to make a blanket for the little one.

We got 26 done this weekend, and Teresa took a few balls of yarn home to help me get the rest knitted. Even Betsy got in on the action, knitting a square during the ride home today.

Cory - thankfully smiling while working up her square.

Here's a photo so that Julie can prove to her sister that, YES, she did actually knit something - on her own!


Suzanne, with her perfectly knit, if a LITTLE bit tight, square. Since she's a relatively new knitter, she's kind of a white-knuckler. She also coined the term "Flipping Off" for the bind off process. We might have a new knitting movement on our hands.

Lisa and Teresa - both experienced with needlework - between the two of them, we had a handful of completed squares on our hands.

Maybe the only two non-Eaglets in attendance - Karla and Vic.

Some of the completed squares. The baby's due May 21, so I'll be chipping away at this project until then. Hopefully I will not be sewing it together in the car while Adam drives us down to see the baby for the first time...

•••

On another note:

While I was at the shower, Betsy got some QT with her Aunt Susan, who owns Susan's Flowers in Lincoln Heights Village. Bets didn't tell me her family was famous...We did a little research, and come to find out, the family owned the parcel of land that Wichita East High School now sits on. You should pop over to Betsy's blog to see part of the story. It's quite interesting.

I've driven by the fountain and statue in front of East High for 10 years, and only now do I have a clue what it is - Mr. McKnight and his Indian friend. That's Betsy's last name. I wish the weather would have been better so we could have gotten a cool photo of her with the statue. Maybe we'll have to make that our project for the next Doo-dah road trip.

4 comments:

Bets said...

Thanks for a wonderful weekend ... "Jilly and Betsy's Weekend of Fun"! (Can you hear Janice from friends saying it now?)
I just made it upstairs from the couch. Too tired to eat or unpack or do anything productive tonight.

Unknown said...

The shower was fun! Thanks for documenting that I, too, can knit. No purling or "flipping off," just a easy basic stitch! I'm e-mailing a link to your blog to my big sis (who's a big knitter, too) right now!

Anonymous said...

I have no idea how to knit, but I can crochet. Getting guests to knit squares for a blankie...I think that is one of the best ideas I've ever heard of!!! I am now wondering how you could do something like that with a mixture of people...if you have a shower with people who don't knit, who don't crochet, who maybe even aren't crafty...what kind of project could you do? A quilt perhaps? And have premade squares that everyone could embellish with simple stitched designs. Thanks for sharing! My creative juices are flowing!!! :O) Your cards are going out in the mail again today! Yay!

Tess Knadler said...

Jill, I will have a stack of squares to send you after this weekend... Theresa

Related Posts with Thumbnails